Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sold my 1995 Polaris Magnum 425 4x4 a couple weeks ago, planning on getting a scrambler 500 4x4 but the guy decided he didn't want to sell it last minute, after i already had cash in hand and sold my magnum. :/

SO, with not many scramblers on the market in my area, I've been looking around and read a couple reviews on the Polaris Predator 500. Seems nice, and it's in my price range, but i don't really know all that much about them besides in general that sport quads are higher maintenance than utility quads.

The one I am really interested in at this point is a 2006 Predator 500 Troy Lee Edition. It has the white plastics and Fox podium Shocks as well as new tires, and he is asking $1800 so that seems reasonable! Do Predators have reverse???

Biggest concern is it says it has a big bore kit, doesn't that mean the piston is bigger, ie bigger cc motor??? And does that reduce reliability???
Like i said, I don't know much about sport quads.

Other questions I had are:
What kind of maintenance and how often is needed on these Predator 500s?
I know they have a KTM motor which are supposedly good, if you take care of them.
Heard oil changes are only required about every 20 hrs so that doesn't seem too bad.
Also heard you need to adjust valves every couple years, but i'm not familiar with that, is that something relatively easy i could learn and do myself? Or better off taking it to the dealer for that?

And obviously oil the rear drive chain every couple rides.

Am i missing anything else in terms of maintenance???

Seems like a rather simple design, 500cc ktm motor, 5 speed manual transmission, chain drive, nice Fox Shocks.

Biggest concern for me is reliability. I mainly ride dirt trails around my property and occasionally head up north to ride trails.

Another option i'm considering is a 2004 Polaris Predator 500 50th Anniversary Edition. Here's what the post says, "Runs great and is very powerful. New rear axle bearings and axle seals. New shift lever. Asking $2000 OBO"
It has sweet Dark blue plastics with gold shocks, and I've never seen one before! But the front lower A-arms are missing some paint so it looks like its been used a lot more than the 2006 Predator i'm looking at, in addition to being 2 years older, but wow, sweet design!!!

Just need some advice on my purchase and the Predators in general.
All opinions are appreciated!!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
They are definitely more maintenance. Oil changes every 20 hours for light use, 10 if used hard. Valve adjustments 30-50 hours, and they are not a simple turn the screw, lock it down design. They are a shim under bucket design so you will need to spend about $75 on a shim kit to have on hand to do it, and plan on a couple hours to get that done each time. Chain lube isn't as often as you think. If taken care of they are reliable machines, but most just beat the crap out of them and destroy them. So look for a really clean, low mileage one and ask a lot of questions about the history of it, where it was ridden and by whom.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Geez the valve adjustments do not sound easy! How much do you think it would cost me to take it to a dealer to have them adjust the valves for me?

Besides oil change and valve adjustments is there any other maintenance items?

Should I be concerned about the big bore kit? Is that a reliablity issue?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I'd pass on a big bore. That's a good sign it's been beat on or severely abused, unless you can get an honest answer as to why it was put in. Usually when something is modded like that it's because the owner wants to go faster and ride harder. Some take care of the stuff, many don't. Dealer valve adjustment will run you about $250-300 at the average $100/hr shop rate. It isn't really all that hard, just more complicated than the normal style most machines use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Like mentioned the big bore meant more speed. The other problem with big bore is compression needed. Meaning all big bore companies highly recommend a mix of race fuel and high octane fuel. The trails I ride you are lucky if the fuel isn't watered down or months old. I would stay away from a big bore. The other quads missing paint on a arms just means they do more sand/gravel riding behind other quads. Mine has been like that for years and once in a while I just spray some paint on it to stop any rust from forming

·
Registered
521 Posts
first off predator does not have a ktm motor

hes correct with valve adjustment every 50 hrs but id suggest you learn how yourself my dealer messed mine up when i had it because they dont get them often enough too know what there doing

oil change every 10 hrs for sure

big bore depends on how big it is 558 and 560 are just as good as stock

there great machines if you take care of them but if not taken care of can become and nightmare.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts