Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well hello, it's me again. Decided to reuse this old topic..

In December 2018 I noticed that Polaris 90 was making weird sound. When clutch cover was off engine sound was normal. When back on it started to make that sound again.

Today I did some yearly maintenance and noticed that there was small metal pieces inside of a clutch cover. So the sound I was talking about year ago was coming from flywheel hitting clutch cover! Shiiiit...

One of the flywheels (how do you call it..) wings were broken and few others had some marks. Flywheel is still usable so that is not an issue. My issue is that how do I prevent clutch cover for not hitting flywheel anymore? It also makes engine start (especially electric) really difficult because it seems that flywheel can't spin free enough to get predator's engine on. Kickstart usually works after 15min of kicking and swearing..

If I loosen those clutch cover bolts and pull upper side of the cover away from flywheel it does not hit anymore. If I let it just be even without tightening those bolts it hits flywheel. My brain says that it needs something between the cover and the engine side. There is that gasket already (that yellow... right....?... which can be seen in lower photo?) but it needs something like 3mm additional so that cover rises away from hitting flywheel. Or then I'm missing some other gasket which lifts cover few millimeters away from flywheel.

I coloured flywheels wings and that part of cover which are hitting..

Any tips to share? Do I need a gasket or what should I do to get that cover away from flywheel?

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
First problem I ran into is I cannot find a 2018 Predator 90 parts break down - in fact I can find no 90 model from 2018

What is the VIN

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Pardon me @latebird if I somehow misled you. My Polaris is from 2003. I was referring those old posts that I made back in 2018 to this same topic.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Maybe I just misread it, but yeah I got screwed up

I can't tell from the pics, but are the fins just touching or hitting hard enough to break off?

If just touching and there is not a gasket between the cover and the engine case, yes - the gasket is necessary for proper clearance and FYI, the gasket has to be installed with the belt and clutches removed.

Gasket part number is 0450141

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, so I have never changed that gasket. That 0450141 seems to be same as the one in my last photo. It is yellow for some reason but I guess it is that gasket. How thick that gasket normally is? Is it over 3mm because I'm thinking that if gasket is not over 3mm then it will not help flywheel from hitting cover.
It's hitting ..if cover is on there is big noise coming out.. clanck clanck ...

Other thing I was thinking.. could it be that flywheels shaft is too out from left side of engine? I'm not sure is it even possible to change it's position for example pulling it when clutches are removed. This problem started over year ago right after I changed rollers. I do not know if I did something wrong back then which is the reason for this.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
AH HA - new information - happened when you changed the rollers - yes, you assembled something wrong

The gasket is about 1mm thick - I suggest you disassemble the clutch (it's not a flywheel it's a sheave) - common mistake is not getting the splines on the sheave, claw washer and one way clutch engaged with the splines on the crankshaft. When the variator is installed, you need to open the driven clutch to get slack in the belt - with the belt near the bottom of the driven clutch, install the outer sheave of the variator onto the crankshaft splines, hold it in place by hand and install the claw washer, the one way clutch, washer and nut.

Let me know I I am right or if it is installed correctly and it is something else causing the problem.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well yes and no :)

Btw sorry if my terms are wrong.

I found the reason for my problem. It's all because my kick crank and the mechanism of it.

Kick shaft was not pushed all the way down because spring was positioned wrong (my opinion) way and shaft couldn't move all the way out. I had to take every part out and then I spent time to figuring out how it should be assembled. Couldn't figure it out so I need some help with it.

I'm guessing kick shaft and kick pinion should be like they are in photo. Spring should be under kick shaft. Other end of the spring (U) is where it should be but where should I add the other end of the spring (I'm pointing it with a screwdriver)? I tried everything.. If other end should go counter clock-wise almost 360 degree so that it could be attached to that certain place in kick shaft..it is not possible.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
THANK YOU! That's it. Going to test tomorrow. I really have to use my muscles to get that spring all the way to that point where it should be.. that is going to be hard task according the things that I tried today.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts