Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
tried to start my 2005(not fuel injected) ranger the other day and all i got was click, click. so i found in the archives on this site what to test, so i check for voltage on other side of solenoid and got the proper volts, so i jumped from the battery to the starter nut and starter turned and fired up the ranger, however with where the starter is i used a metal rod on the jumper cable and would actually have to tap it to get it to work, connection is very dirty, does this mean the starter is ok just a bad connection that needs to be cleaned. also i checked the continuity from solenoid to starter nut and it showed continuity

thanks dave

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Bad connection or bad starter relay. It takes amps to turn the starter not volts. You can read 12 volts across a relay but not have enough amps through contacts to turn starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you are talking about "bad starter relay" are you talking about the solenoid? if so then i still could have a bad solenoid correct?

thanks for responding
dave

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yes you could have a bad solenoid. It takes the smallest contact to allow continuity through it and read correct voltage. I would replace solenoid as it costs about $20 and clean all connections while you are at it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's great to know, i thought because multi meter showed the correct amount of voltage on the starter side it was good to go, good info, thanks

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
This is a common thread on here, happy to help. You need an amp clamp to see what is really happening but since you eliminated starter circuit yourself and proved starter function you solved the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts