Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. We just finished a top end rebuild replaced the piston and rings. Got it all back together and it started right up but in neutral has a high idle. Adjusted carb and that does nothing

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Which screw on the carb did you adjust? Maybe the throttle cable is too tight, dragging or other wise not allowing the throttle to return fully. It's also possible the enrichener cable is not seated correctly or bound up - if the enrichener plunger does not seat properly, it will allow air to bypass the throttle increasing idle speed even if the throttle is 100% closed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which screw on the carb did you adjust? Maybe the throttle cable is too tight, dragging or other wise not allowing the throttle to return fully. It's also possible the enrichener cable is not seated correctly or bound up - if the enrichener plunger does not seat properly, it will allow air to bypass the throttle increasing idle speed even if the throttle is 100% closed.
can I clean out the enrichener plunger or do I have to replace it?

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
The enrichenher plunger can be cleaned, but not cleaned out - if it's sticking, either the cable is bad, the plunger corroded or the plunger bore oxidized. Clean the plunger by polishing with steel wool on the OD - is the bore is oxidized, push steel wool into the cavity with a small screwdriver and polish the bore by turning the wad of steel wool with a small screwdriver - if the cable is sticky, replace it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts