Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
ATV Junkie
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Polaris Industries voluntarily recalled about 8,500 MY ’09-’10 Sportsman ATVs. In cooperation with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), the recall was implemented because of a crash hazard, according to the CPSC.

The front suspension ball joint stem can separate from the steering knuckle and cause the rider to lose steering control. Polaris has received 19 reports of incidents involving the recalled ATVs, but no injuries have been reported, stated the CPSC.

The ATVs were manufactured between January and August 2009. They were sold at Polaris dealers nationwide from February-November 2009 for $7,500-$10,800.

The VIN number and manufacture date are located on the right front of the ATV on the frame rail next to the front shock.

* 2009 Sportsman XP 550
* 2009 Sportsman XP 550 EPS
* 2010 Sportsman 550
* 2010 Sportsman X2 550
* 2010 Sportsman Touring 550
* 2009/2010 Sportsman XP 850
* 2009/2010 Sportsman XP850 EPS
* 2010 Sportsman Touring 850

Source: Powersports Business

·
Registered
205 Posts
I never received a recall letter as alot of members did?
Do you know if theres a Website that you can enter your vin number to see if it needs part replacements? Thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
have your dealer run your vin. he can tell you in a minute if you are part of the recall.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I hear you, I just wanted to be sure and do it myself.

SNW I noticed you have a HMF swamp XL.
Is it quieter than the stock one?

·
Registered
667 Posts
no it is a lot louder,a real deep down growl with the swamp xl. love it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey!

I'm not trying to push our business or anything, but I work for Freedom Power Sports and work in the Service Dept. I can run your VIN and let you know if there is anything outstanding on it.

Just let me know :]

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
ditto, i can also run VIN#s in the dealer site to see if you have recalls or not.

should be all getting letters in the mail eventually, will just probably take awhile for polaris to get them all out

·
Registered
667 Posts
most times recall letters do not go out all at one time,companys do not want everyone to show up at there dealer at the same time,this will just piss off customers more than they already are because they have a recall and because of parts availability.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I havent received one either.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
You will not get a letter if your VIN is not in the recall. I got a letter last year for the crankcase breather before the dealer even knew about it.

Call the dealer and have them run your VIN and inspect your quads before riding and you should be good.

Sportsman XP Ball Joints - You Tube Video

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yeah...I've never received even a thank you note from Polaris. My '09 is on the recall list for the breather issue...and might be for the ball joint too.

I don't ride during the winter, so I'll be calling the dealer before the spring and summer rides begin.

biz
:ponder:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just bought my 550 XP (new) last week and before hand googled it for any problems never seen any but didnt join this forum until after. Really starting to love it thanks to post like this one. THANKS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts