Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After getting oil in the airbox on my 2011 850xp I filed a report (at the suggestion of a forum member) at Saferproducts.gov. I got an email today that Polaris had responded to the report. I've pasted the response below. For thoes with this problem I would encourage you to file a report. Polaris does respond and I think this is one way to get this problem highlighted.

If you would like to see the report, go to the website, and enter Polaris in the search engine (limiting results to this month will pull it up quickly).

From Saferproducts.gov
"Comment from Polaris Industries Inc. 8/24/2011
Polaris has learned the consumer recently brought their 2011 model year Sportsman 850 XP to an authorized Polaris dealership for review and/or diagnosis on 08/09/2011. The dealer noted that a non-Polaris approved air filter had been installed in the air box (UNI - Action). It was also observed that a small amount of oil from the engine had entered the air box which resulted in a thin film of oil on the bottom internal surface of the air box. The dealer stated there was very little evidence of oil having leaked onto or down the surfaces of the engine, with only a light dust/film residue found on the valve cover area. Polaris does not believe the reported issue constitutes a safety hazard or defect because the surface temperatures of the engine are maintained at a relatively low temperature by liquid cooling (well below the auto ignition temperature of oil).
As is normal with motorized vehicle designs, engine crankcase pressures are directed to an air box using a breather line, where it is common for a small amount of oil mist from the engine, to enter the air box area during normal vehicle operation. Although the amount emitted from the engine is usually very small, in some instances, an increased amount of oil may be found inside the air box that is primarily the result of the following: 1) use of non-Polaris approved oils, 2) improper maintenance that results in oil contamination or dilution, 3) bowed breather/labyrinth plate installation, or 4) improper engine “break-in”.
As part of the overall vehicle inspection and service, the dealer will inspect the engine oil for any signs of oil dilution or contamination, and will also examine the engine to confirm the breather/labyrinth plate is not bowed and is functioning properly."

Action

·
Registered
553 Posts
Typical Polaris customer service BS.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
man i should file all the reports about my bike haha

·
Registered
25 Posts
Polaris disgusts me more and more everyday, I am making sure not one person i know in my town ever buys another polaris product and they certainly wont ever receive my business again.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I thought the problem was fixed but I found this when I came back from riding yesterday -

Back to the dealer tomorrow.......

Action

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I thought the problem was fixed but I found this when I came back from riding yesterday -

Action
what did u do to try fixing it

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
800-
I haven't done anything myself, its still under warranty. The dealer has replaced the spring (1st try) and replaced the breather/labyrinth plate (2nd try). Taking it to a different dealer tomorrow.

Action

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mines currently in the shop for the 3rd time for this issue. I believe they are now replacing the valve cover. I'm pretty sure they are guessing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is a problem! I change airfilters about once a month. They need to own up to it, ecall just like the othe 2 years and fix the problem!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I received a letter the other day from polaris sayin there is a recall for the rocker arms and cam shaft for my 2011 xp. Wonder what thats about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wonder if that recall is for all 2011 850's. I haven't got anything in the mail. I'm not to worried. Still under warranty.
yea. 2011 850 xp. From what letter said its just bikes that where built between july 6- august 6 of 2011. Or might of been between june 6 and july6. One of those anyways. LoL. My warranty is voided but dealer told me it didnt matter because its a recall and not a warranty issue

·
Registered
964 Posts

Action

Gosh...that is a lot of oil!!! I sure do hope Polaris can come up with a perm fix. Think about it...when these machines are 5 and 10 years old. This problem still around then...they will lower the resale value. NOT cool! :shocked:

biz

·
Registered
841 Posts
Someone needs to go after polaris hard for this

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Biz - It was fixed for a while, until the replacement Labyrinth plate separated. If this happens again or I'm still having problems, I'm going to make them replace the valve cover / breather assembly with one off the 2012's. I was looking at the differences the other night and the 2012's have a much simpler design that I think will solve the problem.

Action

·
Registered
267 Posts
I received a letter the other day from polaris sayin there is a recall for the rocker arms and cam shaft for my 2011 xp. Wonder what thats about.
Have you heard anymore, Please keep us posted!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts