Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone. I spray washed (at the dollar car wash place) my 2006 Polaris Sawtooth to get the mud off. It was working perfectly BEFORE I washed it, now the tranny acts like its slipping. No forward movement, and very weak backwards (reverse) at full throttle. What's the problem? I hope its an easy fix! Tom in California.:kopfkratz:

·
Registered
580 Posts
Tom, welcome aboard. You might get more responses if you post your question up in the section dedicated to your ATV or in the repair and maintenance section.

Unfortunately, I am not a mech. Someone will come along soon with some feedback for you though.

Take care,

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
welcome to the board!:alcoholic:

·
Registered
517 Posts
welcome to the site!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone is welcoming me, but no one is actually helping me! Does anyone out there know why my Sawtooth clutch is slipping after spraying the mud off????? I thought these ATV's were supposed to be water resistant.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I dont know much about them, but if it has a belt, sounds like you got water in. Just drain the water out, it might have a drain plug, then put it in nuetral and rev it a few times to help dry it out, and be on your way. You might have a bad seal , either the outer or inner one behind the clutch, and that's how the water got in. I had a scrambler 500 and same problem until i replaced the seals. Hope this helps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sawtooth water problem

Hey thanks! Finally someone replied to my problem. I really really appreciate your advise. I will try to locate a drain plug underneath and drain it, plus check the seals. I sure hope this solves the problem. My little Sawtooth only has about twelve hours on it. I understand also that this is your best guess with my problem, and that's cool. Thanks again...Tom in California

·
Registered
673 Posts
A friend of mine got a brand new machine and it took water in the belt housing. Here the seal was twisted when installed from factory, he took it back to the dealer and they replaced it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Water in the belt area

Thanks for the reply! I appreciate it. I will most certainly have a look at that belt housing seal. My Sawtooth is out of warantee, and the nearest Polaris dealership is a two hundred mile round trip, so I guess I'm on my own. It would be great to have a service manual for this machine. Any source suggestions? I also own an 06 Sportsman 500 and would like a service manual for that too. Thanks again! Tom in California

·
Registered
673 Posts
Documents / eBooks: 2006 polaris sawtooth service manual Here's a link, i bought from here for my 2007 sportsman 800 and love it! Beats the 70.00 dollar price from the dealer. It's in PDF but it is well organized and easy to get to the section you need. You can print out the section you need for what you are working on and take it to your garage. When i need one for my XP, i will buy it,,lol

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
tntkoiguy,

i have to agree with slyder01, sounds like you probably got some water in the housing. although, they are pretty water proof, pressure washers can cause problems like this, especially on the smaller machines like yours.

so, there is a couple points of entry for water.... you have both the intake and exhaust ports to the clutch housing, and the gasket around the housing itself. there is a possiblility the gasket didnt seal up right, or there should be rubber boots around the intake and exhaust ports on the housing, and the water pressure may have been enough to push the boot up and off of the plastic housing, or you may have sprayed high enough to get water into the opening, and it just ran right into the housing. #15 on the housing should be a drain bolt on the bottom of the housing in case there is water in there. but that this point, wouldnt be too concerned something is wrong. if water comes out, let it all dry out for a day or two, then all should be good again.

and about not getting help at first. not many people are familiar with the sawtooths, they are their own little animal and not too many are out there. i am sorry i didnt get this microfiche posted earlier. i try to answer most questions the same day they are posted. but after all, we are all just owners and enthusiasts, not techs or mechanics.

let us know if there is water inside and if drying it out fixed your problem. if not, we will go on from there. good luck

1 0452359 Spindle, Kick Start 1 Usage
2 0452360 Spring, Kick Start 1 Usage
3 0452361 Spacer, Kick Start 1 Usage
4 0452394 O-Ring 1 Usage
5 0452363 Washer, Flat 1 Usage
6 0452364 Clip, Retainer 1 Usage
7 0452339 Clip, Retainer 1 Usage
8 0450261 Bearing, Ball 1 Usage
9 0452328 Gasket 1 Usage
10 0452327 Cover, Clutch 1 Usage
11 0452331 Bolt 8 Usage
12 0453219 Asm., Kick Start 1 Usage