Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How reliable are the older scrambler 1000’s I’ve had two 850’s (one was 2013 and other was 2013 with 2015 motor) bought them both blown, and I liked them but felt like I wanted a little more power as I’d be adding larger tires, and looking for something I’d keep for a long time.... My first 850 I swapped an engine into it (really easy machines to work on which is a big reason for wanting one) and it had a few stutters on colder days, and felt like it was gonna break sometimes so I ended up selling it. Next one I bought I rebuilt the engine myself with new parts didn’t do it to perfection as I didn’t want to keep it. I drove it for about an hour and had other people test ride it as it was for sale and when I sold it, guy who bought it said it was leaking oil so he brought it back, I realized I used the wrong gasket maker, I replaced the seals and gasket maker and it wasn’t leaking at all when I had it (after a day of letting everything settle I had it idle for about 2-3 hours, pushed a ton for an hour and then let it cool down and repeated)and then the second I gave it to him it started leaking again, gave him $500 and called it a day... so are these quads that wont last long? The leaking was ok for me but buying two of em blown and having some issues afterwards. Also forgot to mention both scramblers were extremely finicky on both of them they would idle rough with rpms going up and down but to fix it I pinched the hose to the sensor on the airbox which was a little weird... Before that I replaced tps sensor, cdi and basically anything that would mess with that as I basically have a whole other quad in pieces, and the one thing I got out of it was all the cdi’s acted differently with both motors.. what’re your guy’s thoughts on the scramblers 2013-2017?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I’ve never owned a Scrambler. That being said, you are having doubts about them being reliable based on your experience with 2 machines that from the beginning had serious issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve never owned a Scrambler. That being said, you are having doubts about them being reliable based on your experience with 2 machines that from the beginning had serious issues.
This is true but, I was still having issues even after fixing them, I also have a polaris rzr that hasnt lasted me more than 10hours( partially my fault but still) its broke a starter bearing and axles are flimsy in the front diff(probably a bearing gone) same thing was going on in the scramblers also, I do love polaris machines which is why I’ll probably get a scrambler but I just want to know what Problems I’ll be having?

·
Premium Member
10,369 Posts
There good machines with good motors. You'll have to stay on top of the maintenance as Polaris's do need their TLC. Other then that I'd say get the Cecco frame braces, front and rear. As well as the front diff cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There good machines with good motors. You'll have to stay on top of the maintenance as Polaris's do need their TLC. Other then that I'd say get the Cecco frame braces, front and rear. As well as the front diff cover.
Yeah I know they need to be maintained a ton. My plan is taking it through mud/trail/enduro type so if I wanted to mud I could just swap wheels and if I wanted to trail then put another set on... I’ll probably have all of those for sure and anything that breaks I’ll upgrade with stronger parts. I might swap the axles for demon axles and swapping ball joints, and upgrading clutch, I would like the the whole primary and secondary but might just go with springs as they are quite expensive. So it wont be stock and it’ll put a good bit of stress on parts surprised you say they have good motors most people say they have the worst motors in comparison to other name brand motors. Anyone know how long their motors will last if maintained properly but not ridden easy?

·
Premium Member
10,369 Posts
So you know what the biggest POS quads were in the group I ride with??? Suzuki! You know what the biggest POS quads are in the group I ride with now??? Canned ham! You want to know why?? Cause what made them POS was they were and are the most numerous. So every issue was going to be a King or an Outy cause they are numerous. Honestly I think that's the reason Polaris gets a bad wrap. Because there are just so many out there and people don't understand what they are doing when purchasing an off-road vehicle.

I don't think the question of longevity of life of the motor can be reasonably answered. But changing the motor, diffs, and trans oil every 50hrs is good insurance!! Also upgrade the bushings to Garage Products. As well as purchasing over the axle wheel bearing greasers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So you know what the biggest POS quads were in the group I ride with??? Suzuki! You know what the biggest POS quads are in the group I ride with now??? Canned ham! You want to know why?? Cause what made them POS was they were and are the most numerous. So every issue was going to be a King or an Outy cause they are numerous. Honestly I think that's the reason Polaris gets a bad wrap. Because there are just so many out there and people don't understand what they are doing when purchasing an off-road vehicle.

I don't think the question of longevity of life of the motor can be reasonably answered. But changing the motor, diffs, and trans oil every 50hrs is good insurance!! Also upgrade the bushings to Garage Products. As well as purchasing over the axle wheel bearing greasers.
I see what your saying, no need for wheel bearing greasers they’re on $50 for two and easy to change and never seen one have problems, but still will put it in the list of things to consider, thanks a ton for your input, I had another question, but forgot it, if I remember I’ll ask..If anyone else has had issues with their polaris let me know, wanna see what to watch out for and possibly replace before breaking em, thanks

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I see what your saying, no need for wheel bearing greasers they’re on $50 for two and easy to change and never seen one have problems, but still will put it in the list of things to consider, thanks a ton for your input, I had another question, but forgot it, if I remember I’ll ask..If anyone else has had issues with their polaris let me know, wanna see what to watch out for and possibly replace before breaking em, thanks
Also, not that some Polaris’s don’t have some issues but your going to hear ALL of them on this site! It’s a soundboard of problems. Plus, as with basically anything you buy, there are lemons and cherries. Buy the Scrambler! 😄

1 - 8 of 8 Posts