Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have an older Polaris 400 2x4 that I have had for a couple weeks that was running perfectly fine. The only known problem I seen while it was running was it would slow drip leak gas from the overflow while parked. After riding it for a couple hours I had ran it completely out of gas (gauge wasn’t working). I tried to start it on reserve to get it home as I was right down the road and I couldn’t get it to start. I pushed it home went and got a few gallons of gas mixed in my 2 cycle (the injector isn’t hooked up) dumped it in and NOTHING. Tried multiple times and couldn’t get it to start. I disconnected the hose to the filter from the tank and gas came out. I checked for spark and it was there. Air filter was clean. Fuel filter cleaned. Carb was clogged took it apart cleaned it all out seemed to be fine. Tried to start and NOTHING STILL. Sprayed gas into the carb to get it running a couple times for a few seconds but would bog right out. It’s like sometimes it’s getting so much gas it’s leaking out of the overflow or it’s not getting any gas at all and the carb is dry but either way STILL WONT START! I’m by no means a mechanic and at a stand still with this bike. Can anyone help me get this beast going strong again???

·
Registered
5,041 Posts
Would help to know what year and model, but based on what you have divulged, it is a two stroke engine. When you say the injector is not hooked up, I have to presume it is there just not connected and probably running dry and bleeding air into the engine.

You should have been running about a 20:1 or 24:1 mix in the fuel tank, so without knowing anything else I'm going to guess the compression is low and the engine needs rebuilt.

Let me know how close I come to guessing correctly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s a Polaris scrambler 400 2x4 I believe an 01 I’d have to dig title out and double check but yes the injector is there but not connected and also yes I ran a 24:1 ratio in the tank. I don’t know why the engine would need rebuilt when it ran perfectly fine until running out of gas and also like I stated the carb either floods or doesn’t get gas at all

·
Premium Member
3,625 Posts
When you run it out of fuel, it gets leaner as the fuel level gets lower in the carb. Lean means more heat and less lubrication. Could have stuck a ring or something. And yes, they can run fine today and not start in the morning. Generally once you get them started and warm they will stay running but once it cools down the parts contract and clearances get wider. Running out of fuel could have been the last gasp for the piston....Check compression. If you have fuel air and spark then compression is all that's left.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts