Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea what the acceptable tolerance is for the crankshaft to the connecting rod. There is no play up and down and everything else seems tight. But when I used a Feeler Gauge it was at about .03 gap. Seems a little loose.
Problem is that it is expensive to have bottom end rebuilt on top of replacing the crankshaft or having it split, replacing the bearing and balancing it on an older bike like this. I don't want to pay all the money to do a rebuild on the bottom end and then put a used crankshaft in and wait for that bearing to do bad.

The Polaris dealer was no help in tolerances or being able to do anything with the lower end.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm good? I bought the bike blown-up and wanted to find out the cause of the failure before I had the top end rebuilt.

The previous owner bypassed the oil pump and mixed the gas, any feelings on that?
What is the best way to test the water pump while the motor is out?
Anyway to test the thermostat?
Any other ideas on things I should check before I have top end done. Motor is out of the bike.
I do not feel comfortable pulling the bottom end apart, everything feels tight but the connecting rod spacing.

Thanks again, I do appreciate anything thing you can contribute.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
OOps I thought you had a 4 stroke scrambler, I don't have a manual for the 2 stroke, what motor is it? , Ill look.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts