Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I made my uwn using a 12v relay. I was kinda leary about powering all three lights with just the high beam circut, so I only use the high beam to trip the relay on and the actual power comws directly from the battery.

·
Registered
86 Posts
blueline 15 sent me a diagram for doing it myself. it worked awsome!! i still have it it if you want it or you could ask him for it. the way mine works is on low beam only low beam, then on high all 3.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got the exact kit for my 500 and my old 800. It worked perfect with no problems at all. I totally recommend doing the light mod.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just got the cheap e-bay kit... I bought two and it ended up being under 15 bucks can. delivered to my door... I don`t have my 800 anymore but the kit in the 500 still works great.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Is this an easy install? I'm not much of an electrical guy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Is this an easy install? I'm not much of an electrical guy.
It was a piece of cake on my '96. The Quadovator kit comes with good instructions (don't know about the off breed kits). The best thing about Quadovator is that you can call if you have any questions, and Greg will help you fix it on the phone. Great folks to deal with.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It was a piece of cake on my '96. The Quadovator kit comes with good instructions (don't know about the off breed kits). The best thing about Quadovator is that you can call if you have any questions, and Greg will help you fix it on the phone. Great folks to deal with.
Thanks. I went to their website last evening. Going to order one on Monday.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can the alternator keep up with all three lights at once?

·
Registered
421 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Polaris Sportsman 3 light Modification good

Yes this is good, don't waste money on a kit all you need is a normal relay and four pieces of wire and electrical connectors really easy. Also have a mod to override the reverse button also very easy 2 wires and a switch. Works awesome gives full power with awd in reverse when on and stock when off.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I made my uwn using a 12v relay. I was kinda leary about powering all three lights with just the high beam circut, so I only use the high beam to trip the relay on and the actual power comws directly from the battery.
that is how i did it and it works like a charm. the service guy at the dealer said that some have bunrt up the healight switch running the whole load on the high beam circuit

·
Registered
393 Posts
I connected my relay to the main power at the cigarette lighter plug so its already fused,that way I'm actually not on the headlight switch. And for the reverse override i just installed a switch between the gray/orange wire and the brown (ground) this way when I turn the switch on its just like holding the button down. When its off its totally stock. Works great and easy. Plus cheap cost me $3 for switch and a little piece of wire laying around the garage.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Two things:

First... don't pay somebody for a kit. All you're doing is paying them extra money for parts you can gather up yourself at the local auto store. Best place I've found to get the relay is at a Hustler Turf Dealer. Their mowers use a standard bosch 12v 5 pole relay. Less than $5 here at the local dealer, and best of all, it's SEALED. Unlike what you'd get at auto zone. All you need is about 3 feet of wire, some splice connectors, a relay, and instructions on which wires to splice into, and where they connect to the relay. very simple.

Second... Don't use a diode. Use a 12v relay. The diode sends a lot of current through your high beam switch, which will eventually burn it out(about 60 bucks) Everyone talks about how the wires get hot... Hot wires is never a good thing. It means there's more current going through them than there should be.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, I have had the relay on my 09 800 for a year now, and it works great. Did not do the kit either, I just got the diagram offline and used a 4-pole auto relay that I had laying around, cost me $0.00 and about 15 minutes of time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts