Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this atv, been a Honda guy but thought I'd get a polaris. But any way my sportsman 400 2 stroke won't start. It's gettin fire and really just too much fuel I'm guessing. Cranked once when I got it by pull rope and was smokin blue at the moment then died and never crunk since. Jus pit new starter solenoid and batt to see if electric start won't crank it. Nope! Didn't happen, so I'm I really need of some help and advice. Thanks. It's the last year they made a 2stroke 400 sportsman too I believe.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:Med:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. So help real soon would be gladly appreciated bc I'm so ready to have this wheeler runnin to ride and mud.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
First off, sorry you left a good old reliable Honda for what is probably the least reliable Polaris ever built. Is your spark plug wet or dry after cranking it over? Have you done a compression test? When you cleaned the carb did you remove all the jets and make sure all the passages and jets are clean? Does it have spark?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 97 400 explorer. I would assume that my carb float was stuck open because I was getting to much fuel (when not in use). I had a puddle of gas in my air box after it sat over night. It would not start unless I cranked it for several minutes with the trottle open. Check your air box and see if there is fuel in there. As far as the starter I did the same thing, I replaced the battery and solenoid and still got that clicking noise. I had to replace the starter (WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!!) half the bike has to come appart to do the job. I found a starter on ebay for $37 brand new.

·
Registered
41 Posts
im having similar issues but my spark plug isnt wet when i pull it out

·
Registered
6 Posts
'99 tblazer 250 didn't have spark until i disconnected the reverse overdrive module now I have a blue spark but it still won't start. When it was running it would die out if I didn't hold the throttle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts