Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a lot of posts on here regarding the knuckle-busting process of replacing the battery. I knew there had to be an easier way. Had old battery out and replaced with new one within 1/2 hour. New battery can be sealed or conventional because you will be lifting battery directly out the left side with plenty of room and no blood shed.
1. Remove left wheel well splash shield
2. remove left plastic foot rest
This might be a good time to change oil to save a possible spill
3. remove oil pan(2- 10mm bolts)
2 hoses from oil pan to engine- loosen clamps and remove, (I marked my top hose with electrical tape for reinstallation purposes.) Oil pan sits in rubber grommets and can be easily pulled up and to the left. One more hose on top to breather just pulls off the back of oil pan. remove pan and set aside (tilted at an angle if you didn't drain oil).

Now the entire battery compartment is accessible and once bracket and cover are removed along with terminal bolts, the battery will lift out on a horizontal level. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Very nice man!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
my battery is officially dead so I figured I would bump this super helpful thread for other 400HO owners!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
also can anyone provide the exact battery measurements for 2010 400HO battery, I wanna buy one before I yank mine out

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just pulled my batt for my 2010 sportsman 400 snd its a NAPA brand NO: ETX15L CCA:220. Measures 6.5"h x 5.25"w x 3.25"d.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What year 400 is this on? My 2014 400 ho is mounted on the left rear frame in the wheel well opening.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just took out my battery on my wife's 2010 400HO. It consisted of removal of oil tank(2 bolts 10mm) and the top hose.10 plastic gromets holding on foot rest along with two more bolts.one more screw on the battery bracket.finally two bolts for the terminal.if i didn't have to wiggle out the oil tank you could almost forego the footrest. Any thoughts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts