Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1999 Polaris Sportsman 500. Yeah, I know it is 10 years old, but it is a real gem. It had been garage kept and only had 100 miles on it. That's right, 100 miles in 10 years. Not too bad. I did a pretty good inspection of it and it had not even seen mud, at least not till I got a hold of it. It was practically mint. I took it for a full maintenance check cause you never know and I wanted a good baseline to start my maintenance program from (still waiting to get it back and it is killing me). Since I got such a good deal on it, I have some extra money to throw into accessories. The tires are like new, but you know guys, always wanting bigger. I found some nice rims and tires for a reasonable price but need some info on them. Will my new toy need a lift in order to run 26x9x12(front) and 26x10x12(rear) tires?
Also, I am looking at an adjustable back rest from www.team-motorsports.com. My question is do you think it will mount properly to the rear rack? I have sent them a message questioning it, but haven't heard from them yet.
Next is a winch. Worth having or not?
Like I said before, I just bought this beloved machine and am new to the sport. Any and all info / advice / suggestions I can get are greatly appreciated.
Thanks, J :beer:

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First welcome to the boards!

·
Registered
563 Posts
You should not need a lift for 26's.You might want to check ebay or somewhere else for a back rest.The back rests on the link you gave said 05-07 Sportsman and the other is for Sportsman 300/400 and Hawkeyes.I think the rear racks are different.You might find them cheaper too.Check on an exhaust and a clutch kit to get a little more power to the ground if you have the extra $$$ for that.A winch is definately worth having IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. No lift will save me a little money and time. Plus I can always add it later if needed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I added the winch last night. First time I have installed anything like that before and I must say it looks great. As if it came from the manufacturer that way.
Now, I am looking for one more item. The wife would like to ride with me, yeah, my eyes are rolling. What I am looking for is a backrest like a "LOCK & RIDE BACKREST - Fits Sportsman 300/400, Hawkeye 2875705" listed with www.team-motorsports.com. I can't seem to find anything that will fit a 1999 Polaris Sportsman 500. And I prefer something small like this as opposed to the big bulky backrest/storage boxes that are on the market. Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Glad to hear you got the winch mounted.You might ask a dealer if there is a backrest made for a 1999 model or if one of the newer ones can be used.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a good thing I mounted that winch. This past weekend, I needed it. I found a soft mud spot that proved my atv has limitations. Since then, I have ordered and installed some new rims and tires, giving my new toy a new look and attitude to match. I will have to get some pics uploaded soon. Next I think will be some skid plates. Thanks for all the help. J

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi Tribal Handyman
I was wondering how the bigger rims and tires worked out.I have a 99 Polaris 500 magnum and it also has 12 inch rims on the front and 10 inch rims on the back.I would like to change the 10 inch rims to 12 inch but was told it would mess up my axles and my awd.can you help me out.Thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey there magnumman,
I got the tires and rims mounted and oh my f...ing God does it look great. I posted some pictures of my beast in the photos gallery under the Sportsman group. The tires gave my toy an extra inch, if not two, of ground clearance. At first, I was worried that the tread would rub on the front wheel wells, especially when the shocks are compressed, but that was not the case. There is enough room all the way around. The tires make a big difference in ride quality too. At slow speed, it rocks a little, but once you gain some momentum, it balances out. This past weekend I went riding and not once needed to put it in 4WD. Event in places that I previously had to. The new rubber just muscles through everything. I was impressed. Plus, it seems to turn easier. I guess since it is riding on the high tread in the center of the tire, it has a little less surface contact on hard land. In a word, they are AWESOME. No fit problems, no lift required, and other than the winch, one of the best purchases I have made for it, thus far. Give it a look and tell me what you think. J

·
Registered
563 Posts
The Mudlites and ss106's are lookin pretty good.Where did you get them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I love them. I actually got them off EBAY. They ran me $650. That included the tires and rims, already mounted, lug nuts, and free shipping. I'm not sure what these things normally go for, but I think I got a good deal. The traction and grip of these bad boys are awesome. The only down side is when riding in the yard, every turn rips up the grass. Like I said, major grip. Oh well, less to mow right?

·
Registered
563 Posts
LOL,they will definately do a job on the grass.I just ordered a new set of ITP SS 212 Black rims and ITP 589 tires for the XP.I'll be glad to get the factory tires off of it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds good. Make sure to post some pics (of all your toys for that matter). I would love to see how everything comes together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome

Sounds like you got a great deal!! On the wench issue, I had the factory Polaris/ Warn installed when I bought the machine and didn't use it for my first year other than to play with it. Then one day 10 miles deep in the mountains I went off the side of a steep hill, it was pinned against a tree with some minor collateral damage and me with a broken arm. Long story short the wench saved my ass from the coyotes, I highly recommend it if you like to ride like me. 07 Sportsman with 3,240 miles of hard Rocky Mountains CO.

·
Registered
563 Posts
A winch can save your ass without a doubt.I will get some pics up Tribal as soon as I get them on.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep. Love my winch. Have had to use it two times in the past 3 times I've ridden. Definitely a worthy purchase. Glad yours worked out so well for you sporthog. 10 miles in the deep mountain woods would be my ideal riding experience. Unfortunately, we don't have that kind of riding options near the N.C. beaches. Guess I will have to schedule a road trip.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope. Haven't found a back rest for my model. Found some for other rack systems but not for mine. I think I will buy the one I found and "mod" it to fit. Yeah, I'm cool like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts