Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI and I have had some problems with it. So I have been working on it trying to get it to start and I then replaced the battery and all the lights and the screen work but when i twist the key to go start it it click one time and then nothing happens. If anyone can give me an idea of where to start looking that would be great like I have said I have replaced the batter and all it does is one click then nothing. I also have another problem is my pull start one time when my old battery died i went to pull start it and the rope pulled out like normal and now it wont go back in and if anyone can help me with this too that would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
Most likely either the battery is weak, the connections are poor, the solenoid has failed, the starter motor gave up or the recoil starter might be causing a binding not letting the crankshaft turn.

Since the recoil will not return, work on that first - take the cover off and find out why the rope will not recoil - perhaps just taking the cover off will cause the rope to go back - while you are under that cover, check the Bendix - take it out turn it by hand to check the operation - CAUTION - DO NOT ENGAGE THE STARTER MOTOR WITH THE RECOIL COVER OFF - DAMAGE TO THE ENGINE CASE MAY RESULT - put a little grease on the Bendix shaft ends or into the Bendix bushings in the engine case and recoil cover.

With the recoil fixed, start checking the starter motor circuit

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Test for power at the starter. Post up results.

·
Registered
6,501 Posts
The starter motor does not click - it hums when running - the relay or solenoid clicks - check for power to the starter motor - the solenoid is located near the battery and the starter motor is on top of the crankcase below the carb - if the starter motor clicks, it probably needs replaced

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The starter motor does not click - it hums when running - the relay or solenoid clicks - check for power to the starter motor - the solenoid is located near the battery and the starter motor is on top of the crankcase below the carb - if the starter motor clicks, it probably needs replaced
ok thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all I replaced the starter and the pull start string and it cranked up just fine thank you all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts