Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 15 sportsman 570 I love the bike but lately it's been having issues overheating. It only overheats if you stop moving and let it Idle for a few minutes so I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fan. The problem is this only happens sometimes it happened about 2 months ago and I tore the atv apart took out the fan and ran it of 12volts and it ran fine. I checked all the fuses and they were good. I checked the relay by replacing the original and seeing if it had the same symptoms, which it did. Eventually the fan just started running normally and I thought I had fixed it by moving a bad connection or by making the fan run on a battery. However 2 months later it's doing it again (or it did it today with any luck it won't do it tomorrow) any idea why it's doing this or more importantly why it does it intermittently? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2017 Sportsman 570. I took it out twice on 90+ degree days. Normal trail riding. I am still breaking it in so its just normal driving not aggressive. The last two times the Hot Engine warning light comes on and the atv goes in limp mode. Sometimes it will even stall out. I was able to limp back to the truck. Took it to my Polaris Dealer and they checked it out and tried to recreate the overheat and were not able to.
They said everything is fine and that if I am traveling at 25 mph or lower that I should be in low as this will be better for overheating.

Well I took the atv out today and ran the entire time in low and never over 25MPH and after 30 miutes BOOM red warning light comes on and the atv goes to limp mode.

Back to Polaris on Monday! This is total BS as I only have 54 miles on this thing.

I have a brand new ATV and I don't even trust it.

If any one out there has any thoughts and suggestions I would love to hear them.

I will be so aggravated if I go to Polaris and they say nothing is wrong.

Thanks for your help....

·
Premium Member
8,215 Posts
If all the cooling system components check out; cooling fan operation, therma-stat opens, radiator hasn't any blockages. Then what needs to be done is to burp the machine. You really need to get the front end off the ground. The bottom of the front tires need to be 18"-24" off the ground. Then run the machine with the radiator cap off until all the air is purged from the system. This will take several cycles of the t-stat opening and closing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
They said everything is fine and that if I am traveling at 25 mph or lower that I should be in low as this will be better for overheating.

Well I took the atv out today and ran the entire time in low and never over 25MPH and after 30 miutes BOOM red warning light comes on and the atv goes to limp mode.

I don't agree with your dealer at all. You should limit Low to 7-10mph... no more. Check your manual. It should state the same thing. I would think you'd be running hotter in Low. This was bad advice. By all means, have someone check your bike out, but you may want to call another dealer.

·
Premium Member
8,215 Posts

I don't agree with your dealer at all. You should limit Low to 7-10mph... no more. Check your manual. It should state the same thing. I would think you'd be running hotter in Low. This was bad advice. By all means, have someone check your bike out, but you may want to call another dealer.
^^^^^^^Agreed!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2017 Sportsman 570. I took it out twice on 90+ degree days. Normal trail riding. I am still breaking it in so its just normal driving not aggressive. The last two times the Hot Engine warning light comes on and the atv goes in limp mode. Sometimes it will even stall out. I was able to limp back to the truck. Took it to my Polaris Dealer and they checked it out and tried to recreate the overheat and were not able to.

Back to Polaris on Monday! This is total BS as I only have 54 miles on this thing.

I have a brand new ATV and I don't even trust it.

If any one out there has any thoughts and suggestions I would love to hear them.

I will be so aggravated if I go to Polaris and they say nothing is wrong.

Thanks for your help....
That dealer is full of it.
From page 112 of the owners manual...

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked mine over the other day and found out the cooling fan was sometimes drawing to many amps some times not. So I ordered a new fan it will be here Thursday. I guess we'll see if that fixes it or if there's other issues.Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
sometimes ur radiator looks pretty clean but there is dust, sand, clay blocking the fins and it will run hot , worse when u stop, we had a issue like that last year during a big club run, all 570's started overheating after we had to cross a few areas with alot of water , problem is water gets dirtier and dirtier when u got alot of bikes running together. The 570's still have the radiator sitting pretty low, better than the 500 but still low compared to the 850-1000 sportsmans.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the new fan today it fixed the problem. The fan is an All Balls 70-1024 from Amazon. The fan itself is good quality made of fiber reinforced plastics. The motor on the new fan is also bigger than the original, and it also has more distinct poles than the original. (Actually the original didn't feel like it had any poles at all like an induction motor while the new one feels more like a standard brushed motor) The new fan also has straight blades unlike the original which had curved blades. The new one has 10 straight blades while the original has 6 or 7 curved blades. These straight blades and the bigger motor make the fan seem to spin faster and it is substantially louder . However it does seem to move more air and when your riding you can't tell the difference. Overall I'm impressed with the fan and I hope this helps and new with similar problems. Thanks everyone for the posts and help.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I got the new fan today it fixed the problem. The fan is an All Balls 70-1024 from Amazon. The fan itself is good quality made of fiber reinforced plastics. The motor on the new fan is also bigger than the original, and it also has more distinct poles than the original. (Actually the original didn't feel like it had any poles at all like an induction motor while the new one feels more like a standard brushed motor) The new fan also has straight blades unlike the original which had curved blades. The new one has 10 straight blades while the original has 6 or 7 curved blades. These straight blades and the bigger motor make the fan seem to spin faster and it is substantially louder . However it does seem to move more air and when your riding you can't tell the difference. Overall I'm impressed with the fan and I hope this helps and new with similar problems. Thanks everyone for the posts and help.
Thanks for the link, same fan for mine if i ever need it.

Was you original a SPAL, or did Polaris cut corners there too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No it wasn't it was a generic Polaris industries one. I guess to get the price of the quad down they had to cut corners somewhere, I just wish it wasn't there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All. Thanks for your replies. I just got back in town and picked up my ATV from the dealer. Below is exactly what my work order states:

Topped off and bled the coolant system. Found front left motor mount broke allowing coolant line to become restricted when engine shifted from broken mount. Replaced mount with new one. Found upon testing that the other mount broke and replaced that as well.

I asked the dealer how a brand new 2017 unit with 54 miles can have two broken mounts and he stated "defective parts".

He says this should resolve the over heating issue. We shall see.

All I know is that I am not very happy that I had this type of issue with a brand new ATV.

Thanks again for all your responses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am the EXACT same problem with my 17 Sportsman 570. Overheated 4 times now been to the shop 3 times to two different dealerships. Thought the third shop visit fixed it after they burped the coolant and replaced a fan to the sensor. Then it did it again. Temp got up to 230 F and the fan is not kicking on. Probelm is always at lower speeds. Appreciate any help/suggestions you can offer!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am the EXACT same problem with my 17 Sportsman 570. Overheated 4 times now been to the shop 3 times to two different dealerships. Thought the third shop visit fixed it after they burped the coolant and replaced a fan to the sensor. Then it did it again. Temp got up to 230 F and the fan is not kicking on. Probelm is always at lower speeds. Appreciate any help/suggestions you can offer!
Doc1059..... After various times back to the dealer I think they have found and /repaired the problem. I have now put on over 50 miles after this last repair and not overheating issues.

I don't have my invoice in front of me but I will do my best to describe what they did. In fact the Service Manager asked to take my ATV home to ride it on trails behind his house because they could not get it to overheat at the shop. I gave permission to do this and it finally did overheat.

What they found was happening was the fan was kicking on at the appropriate temperature but it was not spinning at full force. You would hear the fan motor but the blades were spinning very slowly and not cooling the engine.

They traced the problem to a relay/sensor (not sure of exact term) that was not allowing the appropriate amount of amps/volts to provide enough power to spin the fan with enough force to cool it.

They replaced the part and everything appears to be fine.

I will do my best to find out the name of the part for you this weekend but maybe you can explain what I just wrote and they can try that. I used the dealer All Out Cycles in Chesapeake, VA

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
Polaris 570 overheating

did you ask for the defective parts? i never let a dealer touch anything of mine, be it a car, motorcycle or my atv. If i absolutely have to have the dealer do something i tell them i want to old parts with pictures before removing them to confirm stated problem. to many times ive been burned from dealers saying "Oh it was this that was bad" only to find out it was just fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am having the same issue with my bike it’s a 2017 sportsman 570 and is overheating after taking it out and ridding it for a couple of minutes then letting it sit and idle it over heats if anyone has any suggestions what I should do I would really appreciate it

·
Premium Member
8,215 Posts
I am having the same issue with my bike it’s a 2017 sportsman 570 and is overheating after taking it out and ridding it for a couple of minutes then letting it sit and idle it over heats if anyone has any suggestions what I should do I would really appreciate it

Clean the rad REALLY REALLY good!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts