Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and i have 2018 polaris 570 sportsman and both of them have had to replace the voltage regulator on. Has anyone wlse had these issues ?

·
Premium Member
10,224 Posts
oh yeah Polaris contracted with some sh!t outfit to make the VRs. They have updated them to a better unit though. I would say as recently as maybe the last 6 months.

·
Registered
2017 Sportsmen XP 1000 Touring
179 Posts
Symptoms of voltage regulator failure?

My Electrical, Switches, Sensors, Ecu & Control Modules diagram for P/N 3 says:
REGULATOR-3PH, 50A, SERIES, HISPD [ FROM 11/1/16 ] – #4016868
REGULATOR-3PH, 50A, SERIES, HISPD [ TO 11/1/16 ] - #4014856

I probably have the pre 11/1/16 regulator because I have a 2017 machine unless Polaris/Dealer did a retrofit.. I doubt it.
I wish Polaris would let us know so it not a unexpected problem.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I’d say the previous VR’s are the overall biggest complaint for the 570, maybe heat issues, but they’ve been resolved. VR’s certainly can cause serious problems but it’s an easy fix to replace. Aside from that, they are mostly pretty reliable.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Symptoms of voltage regulator failure?
Where is it located? Looks like? (should have cooling fins)
Stamped with a P/N?
Should I replace if P/N #4014856? I think I will anyway if I can find a P/N and where located. The IPB clearly shows an update.

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Symptoms? Battery hot, high amount of evaporation of electrolyte in a conventional flooded battery, smell of rotten eggs while operating or battery going dead while operating.

4014856 is superseded to 4016868 - if you order 4014856 you will get 4016868

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks .. approximate location on a 1000? (2017 touring). I'm only starting to get familiar with this machine ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks .... I forgot abount looking in the service manual thanks

·
Premium Member
10,224 Posts
In front of the radiator.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
We had a VR die on a 570 last summer at Hatfield. Trying to overnight a part down to banjo Country was a nightmare. Quad sat on the trailer for two days.
We now have a spare updated unit for the machines. I will be proactively upgrading to a RMStator on my ‘16 scrammy 1K.

They even have a warranty.

Edit: Ricksmotorsportselecteic or hawk engineering are the best upgrade options.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Why the aftermarket and not the OEM since they [Polaris] appeared to fix the problem w/ a change in P/N. I agree with your policy of a spare. In my opinion/policy, aftermarket mechanical is one thing, aftermarket and electrons is a little different, unless a demonstrated problem w/ the OEM w/ no P/N change. Case in point I used to replace the rectifier on a jet ski every year so I went aftermarket to solve problem.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
I would definitely go aftermarket and definitely not rmstator!
Really RMstator is junk too just like Caltric? What good brands are there then?

·
Premium Member
991 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
One and Done! Why do you think cables will be too long? I’d measure yours and call before ordering. For $300.00 I’d insist on correct cable lengths! You meant the Cycle Worx VR right?

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
They would be correct for a 570, but my 1000 xp has the battery under the front ‘rack’ so the VR is only 6” away from the terminals. I’ll defiantly be getting one of these before Colorado this summer

Reactions: Sprotsman

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
He said no problem on shortening the harness, just make a note in the order comments! It will be wider so I just have to make a mount adapter. I’ll try and throw up pics of the instal :)

Reactions: Sprotsman
1 - 20 of 22 Posts