Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I noticed in my last oil change that a little clean coolant came out right before the oil, no milky mix. I figured it was the head gasket and really didn't want to believe that head gasket went out as soon as 1000 miles on my 2002 Sportsman 700. I took all the front body panels and bumpers off, then gas tank and got down to removing the valve cover then the rocker arms. I figured before I drain the coolant and remove the head to replace the gasket I wanted to see how tight the head bolts were and to my surprise, they were loose, maybe only 20 ft lbs. Head bolt that are torque correctly should not loose their torque, but I could literally turn some of the bolts around 3/4 of a turn with my torque wrench before hitting the correct torque.

I have a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 600 with 2000 miles with no issues which then bring up my question.
Question: Did Polaris fix the head losing its torque issue by 2004 or do I need to take that one apart also? (I really don't want to, but I am all about preventative maintenance.)
Please advise if you know anything about this?
Thanks!
Dean

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I have been a creeper for a little while so I like reading everyone elses posts, but now I have a problem.

·
Registered
563 Posts
If the 04 has not had that problem in 2000 miles,I dont think I would worry too much,just keep an eye on it.The twins are a little different.Did you put new head bolts in the 700?Sometimes head bolts can stretch a little and maybe thats why they were loose.Hopefully you cured it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO, I did not replace the head bolts due to I never removed the bolt, just retightened. They still had some torque, but just not nearly enough.
What did you mean by "The twins are a little different"? Did you mean between the singles and twins, size of the motor or between the different years?

·
Registered
563 Posts
I mean between single cylinder and twin engines.Just a few different issues than a single is what I was referring to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a similar problem with a 600.. I didn't check for head bolt tightening yet. Since you tighten your head bolt, has the problem been resolved ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How did you find this post, it's two years old, LOL. I did try to retorque the head bolts on the 600, but the bolts were good and tight. They must have fixed the issue of stretching head bolts sometime in 2003 or 2004.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I find it hard to look for answers on this forum... I clicked on the tags at the bottom of the page, redirected me to google page.. I read your reply and took a chance with my reply. Didn't hope to have a reply that quick.. thanks. How about the antifreeze in the crankcase (drain plug) still have some or not ? problem resolve or not ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts