Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a 2004 sportsman 700 but the 4x4 doesn't work. Is there a way to replace the original "on demand" 4x4 with a push button 4x4? I'm honestly just confused on how it works and if it's easily fixable or is it unreliable and should I replace it if I buy the fourwheeler.

·
11,141 Posts
Just get consideration on the price for having to repair the AWD. Often times the fix for AWD problems is simple but there is no way to know till you get in on it and diagnose the issue....and NO! there is no alternative way to do it other than repair what is there already and there's no logical reason to want to. IMO Polaris' system is the best there is if you want true AWD.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It could be the switch, gauge pod or the diff.

Does the speedometer work? IIRC that has to work for AWD to work.

Does it work in reverse when you push the yellow override button on left handle?

Is this a carb or a '04.5 EFI model?

I don't think you would want to goto the trouble of making it a push button 4x4.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Does the AWD indicator come on on the LCD screen of gauge when in AWD mode?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Try this as well. This is from manual.

============

Instrument Cluster
Rider Information Center
Diagnostic Mode
The diagnostic mode is for informational purposes only. Please return your ATV to your dealer for all major repairs.
As long as the gauge is in the diagnostic mode, the wrench icon will remain lit.
To leave the diagnostic mode, either shift the machine out of neutral or turn the key switch off and on. NOTE: Any movement of the tires will also take the machine out of the diagnostic mode.
To enter the diagnostics mode:
1. Turn the key switch off and wait 10 seconds.
2. Set the park brake and shift the transmission into neutral.
3. Hold the mode/reverse override button and turn the key switch on.
4. Release the switch as soon as the display is activated.
The initial screen display refers to the software version installed in your ATV. This information is displayed briefly.
Use the mode/reverse override button to toggle through the diagnostic screens.
Screen 1: Battery voltage Screen 2: Tachometer
Screen 3: AWD diagnostic
This gauge indicates whether or not current is flowing through the
AWD coil (only on models with switchable AWD).
Screen 4: Gear circuit diagnostic
This screen displays the resistance value (in ohms) being read at the
gear switch input of the gauge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not see much about it, it's my uncles and it just sits around and he said he may sell it to me cheap and the only thing that doesn't work is the 4x4. Just trying to decide if it's worth fixing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts