Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2011 sportsman 850 browning edition. Guy said it was lightly wrecked just fell on side and need an alignment. Well it was wrecked pretty hard and the guy did a good job hiding it. Talked to previous owner and said the thing fliped 2-3 times and smacked a tree. Good thing I didn't pay very much for it. I aligned it and it looks straight. Made sure tires were aired up. The left tire is worn on outside corner from not bein aligned. Also stiffened up front springs. The problem is it feels really unstable turning to the left in a corner. Almost like it will roll. Feels like the tire wants to tuck underneath it. Feels fine if you turn to the right though. Also if you hammer the brakes going 20+ mph it shakes and jerks one way. Any ideas on what it could be. A arms, spindles, ball joints. These thing are built like tanks but I guess it could be the frame.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a 400ex that I let free wheel down a hill that was too steep for me to ride.
It hit a dune hard and turned hard.
Ever since then it rode real weird. I never could figure out how to fix it.

I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Check the one way bearings in the front end. Mine will act something like you described if I back up on pavement or really hard dirt and turn the front wheels. It will bind up the one way bearing on one of the front wheels and steer funny and pull to one side.

I just spin the wheels a little and it unbinds the front end and goes back to normal. Pretty common with the way the 4x4 All wheel drive system works.

D

·
Registered
234 Posts
It sounds like wheel alignment. If it hit hard it could have shoved the wheel past the original caster setting. I do not think this is adjustable with out a torch.

If it were mine, I would get it on the lift and start taking measurements.

You know from the front center spindle to center spindle on rear should be the same on both sides. If one is short, that is the one that is probably the bent one.

On a flat floor a good carpenter square can tell you a lot.

This measuring is gonna take patients.

Good luck - you can do it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What one way bearings in the front end?
Prawl. In the front hub. Lets the front wheels free wheel independently until the back wheels start to spin. Then the front wheels start to pull. That is the nature of (All wheel drive vs 4 wheel drive) where you only have 3 wheels driving until you pull in your differential lock.

If that one way Prawl is bound up and not free wheeling, it will feel like a locking differential and pull to that side while the other wheel is spinning free.

D

·
Registered
737 Posts
In the front hub there is only one bearing and it is a regular wheel bearing.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
duecer ..he has a 2011 ....they dont have them hubs..they stopped them in 2004....the hillard on his in in the front diff....not in hubs

·
Registered
479 Posts
Think I figured it out. Looks like the a arm is bad on the left side.
If that is your problem I highly recommend you to replace both A-Arms on both side. If the quad rolled a couple of times chances are that the other side might have the same problem but less noticeable.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You know you might be able to measure the caster better with the wheels off. This way you can go right to the ball joints with your measuring stick and or framing square.

I don't know if the service manual has actual measurements in it or not.

If you have an exceptional dealer they might have access to measurements and help you out.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Same concept.
Although I understand what you are saying the fact of the matter is that you wont have pull in one wheel with the centralized Hilliard in the front diff.

The reason it pulls to one side on the older style is that one wheel is locked and not rotating at the same rate as the side that is unlocked and thus pulls to one side.

There is only one cage in the front diff and it controls both wheels. It cant lock up one side and not the other as the drive mechanism is connected from side to side.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I pulled the wheel off and the lower a arm is bent and the weld is broke right before the ball joint. The guy hid it with a arm gaurds and some well placed mud.

I don't think there is a one way bearing on these but will check.

I wish I could buy all new a arms, ball joints and bushing but money is a issue. Just going to replace what I know is bad right now.

Thanks for the measurement advice. I will try it once we warm up a bit. Hope I don't need a torch.

Thanks for the input. I will update if I ever get the parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts