• Other

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I wasn't sure whether I am allowed to post a thread about multiple topics, but they all have to do with modifications or fabrications of the sportsman 90 model listed in the topic. I have a few ideas with my shop teacher and buds on things to do to the 90. I hope you guys will join the discussion as I see RamThis had tried to with running lights on a 90, but the thread died. So I shall pick up a new one here to discuss things like:

*running lights.
*Fabricating a brush guard.
*Fabricating a wheelie bar.
*A custom black/green monster energy(tm) paint job.
*more to come

Also heres the link to RamThis's thread ( http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/1591-sportsman-90-headlights-anyone.html )

Update: I smashed off my plastic brush guard, and bent my front right wheel horribly in an accident a few days ago. I am bringing it into auto-shop tommorow 10/21/2011 to repair the wheel, and a few other repairs. I will start working on my brush guard monday morning! So if you who have voted on me working on the brush guard, please check back every now and then for new posts!

I will have HD photos along obviously so please join the thread!

:postpic:

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update on the 90!

So as any of you reading this know, I have been gone for awhile. I got into an accident jumping the 90, and came down on my front tires, bending my tie-rod pretty badly. This caused my wheel to bend outward and turning left became an arduous task. So I hereby award myself the gold metal for dumbest fail ever done on a four wheeler made for pre-teens. :goldcup:

If you would like to know the full story and photos of the jump, please let me know I would be more then happy to share my experience. It's rather lonely in this thread talking to myself. Well, I suppose I should write something more substantial so I will post pic's on the 90 damage, and repair. I start fabricating a brush guard tommorow morning!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I apoligize for being a "newb" in advance, but I don't know how to post more photos without adding another post, as I can only add 5 at a time. here are some more of my repairs. Please don't be angry moderators! :puppy_dog_eyes:

As you can see in the photos, I have taken out my tie-rods, and straightened out the bent one. Then I cut some support rod for a brace, and welded it onto the tie-rod, as to make sure not to weld on the threading. As i think about it, I wish I had the time to just cut out the smaller rod and weld in the new one, but my shop teacher says the solution used is going to be much stronger then the wimpy original rods. I also spray painted the frame flat black, as I love the look.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi and welcome!

Couple of questions before answering about mods.

How old are you? What type of riding will you be doing?

There are many 90 racing mods but are geared towards high performance. I modded my older sons 90's a while ago when they were all 2 stroke. You can make those things scream (literally, they can be heard a mile away lol). I did engine, exhaust, stronger a-arms, wheel spacers, shock, clutch, lights, nerf bars, pre-mix conversion, etc...

Your quad is a sportsman 90, not really a racing quad, although just the plastics are different from the outlaw. My younger son has the new sportsman 90 which is a four stroke. It has a couple mods but he does different riding then my older son and is just learning.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I vote for 2.5 inches of lift and 22x12x8 bearclaws!

But out of your choices i would like to see that brush guard when your done. Might wanna do one for my daughters 90.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and welcome!

Couple of questions before answering about mods.

How old are you? What type of riding will you be doing?

There are many 90 racing mods but are geared towards high performance. I modded my older sons 90's a while ago when they were all 2 stroke. You can make those things scream (literally, they can be heard a mile away lol). I did engine, exhaust, stronger a-arms, wheel spacers, shock, clutch, lights, nerf bars, pre-mix conversion, etc...

Your quad is a sportsman 90, not really a racing quad, although just the plastics are different from the outlaw. My younger son has the new sportsman 90 which is a four stroke. It has a couple mods but he does different riding then my older son and is just learning.

I am 17 years old, 18 in March. I am riding for speed, as well as stunts. Examples would be I commonly ride on 2 wheels, whether they are a cat-walk, or on it's side. I also started doing jumps, but this is what bent my tie-rod. I tried to go on really difficult trails, but the sportsman 90 can't handle steep mossy inclines very well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I vote for 2.5 inches of lift and 22x12x8 bearclaws!

But out of your choices i would like to see that brush guard when your done. Might wanna do one for my daughters 90.
I love your mod's. I am most definetley going to take you up on that and lift mine, any tips? Also those tires look way better then the stock. Mine lose traction on snow almost instantly, and forget icy inclines. I'll be sure to get the pics of the brush guard up soon, been multi-tasking with welding chairs and etc together. I should have my 90 back in the garage soon.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The one in the photo is not mine, but I am working on doing it to my daughter's. You need to get the lift from rubber down customs, extend the rear swing arm 3 inches, get a 40 tooth sprocket from speederwerx, and some wheel spacers to widen up the stance a little.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The one in the photo is not mine, but I am working on doing it to my daughter's. You need to get the lift from rubber down customs, extend the rear swing arm 3 inches, get a 40 tooth sprocket from speederwerx, and some wheel spacers to widen up the stance a little.
I am going to get this brush guard whipped up first then I believe I will move on to your modifications. My shop teacher says it will only come down to $, so I am getting extra hours at work to try and make it. $50 in so far, but I will get there. I think I am going to use my 700 Twin EFI Polaris Sportsman brush guard as the model idea for my own. Is that a good idea, or should I just freestyle build it? What is your opinion? Heres what the guard looks like on my 700. I have all the welding tools I need, as well as pipe benders, etc.

heres the link to the photos I borrowed from (same guard as my own, I am too lazy to walk outside at 20 degrees to take them)

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/17768-wts-winch-bracket-brush-guard-wheels-tires.html#post106200

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
You have to look around the sites a bit. They all have performance parts listed. I mentioned a lot of them in my first post. I was giving you some sites so you could see the finished product and get an idea of cost. Racing
90's are very popular and there are 100's of aftermarket companies selling high performance parts. Or if you prefer buy one already built and ready to go. If you can wrench on your own just buy parts. Just be prepared for a lot of work and customizing things to fit your machine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You have to look around the sites a bit. They all have performance parts listed. I mentioned a lot of them in my first post. I was giving you some sites so you could see the finished product and get an idea of cost. Racing
90's are very popular and there are 100's of aftermarket companies selling high performance parts. Or if you prefer buy one already built and ready to go. If you can wrench on your own just buy parts. Just be prepared for a lot of work and customizing things to fit your machine.
At the moment theres no way for me to afford a new machine, and I believe I would buy a kawasaki 450 kfx before I buy another 90. I am capable of wrenching on my machine and etc, I only need to gain more mechanical knowledge so I don't ruin it. I am looking up the best parts to swap out first, like for instance a new CDI box which I heard allows more power then the current factory CDI.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am trying to give my sons 90 more torque but also decrease the speed. he is learning and right now its a bit fast. unfourtunatley as i am sure you know using the throttle screw lowers the rpms and the ability ( I think) for the clutch to fully engage. so I end up pushing him on small inclines, I need a set up where he can gas it but not go to fast while still having the ability to climb hills and the like at least untill he is experienced enough to handle some speed. ( sorry for the bad spelling)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I would give speederwerx a call and let them know what you are looking at doing, but I do believe if you put the 40 tooth on your sons machine it will give you that low torque and cause you to lose top end speed like you are intending to do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would give speederwerx a call and let them know what you are looking at doing, but I do believe if you put the 40 tooth on your sons machine it will give you that low torque and cause you to lose top end speed like you are intending to do.
Thank you for the info,I did submit a request to speederwerx but have not heard back yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am going to get this brush guard whipped up first then I believe I will move on to your modifications. My shop teacher says it will only come down to $, so I am getting extra hours at work to try and make it. $50 in so far, but I will get there. I think I am going to use my 700 Twin EFI Polaris Sportsman brush guard as the model idea for my own. Is that a good idea, or should I just freestyle build it? What is your opinion? Heres what the guard looks like on my 700. I have all the welding tools I need, as well as pipe benders, etc.

heres the link to the photos I borrowed from (same guard as my own, I am too lazy to walk outside at 20 degrees to take them)

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-sportsman/17768-wts-winch-bracket-brush-guard-wheels-tires.html#post106200
I say freestyle it. You never know if its good someone may pay you for one!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I say freestyle it. You never know if its good someone may pay you for one!
True, however being my first attempt I am using the model as a guide, so I can get a feel for the project. After all I have only used a plasma cutter twice now. I will do another one after with my own custom designs, and etc. Heres the photos of what I have so far. Just the two plates and the mounts I built, next is welding those together, and bending some bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Update

As I have been away for some time now I felt compelled to post an update on my progress. I have my mounts built and bolted, I have my panels reinforced and welded to the mounts, and I even took the time to bend my horribly abused frame back to nearly original position.... (This took a shop teacher, and 4 students with a large metal bar wedged inbetween the frame) seemed like a good idea. :scratchchin: Well I guess talk isn't that important, it's all about the pics's right? The plates and mounts:

Welded on the original threaded plate for my bolt onto my custom mount. Ground off the old welds.

UPDATE ON BRUSH GUARD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts