Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an old sportsman 90 (Maybe 2014?) from a friend who says he hadn't seen it run in years. Started taking a look at it (My first time working on an ATV) and noticed there wasn't a spark. I replaced the spark plug and still can't get it to start.

I think it might have something to do with the CDI Box which looks like it is missing some wires that should be connected to it, but I'm not sure. I've attached pictures of it for reference.

The ATV had been sitting outside for a long time, so it could be any number of issues other than this. If you have experience with maintenance and can point out other things to look for I'd really appreciate it.

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
The previous owner removed the rev limiter for an advanced rider - removing the shorting bar allows the engine to rev higher.

That CDI unit was used on 04 to 06 Sportsman, Predator and Scrambler 90's, so I don't think you got a 2014 Aeon 90 four stroke - I think you have a Dinli or Eton two stroke

You need (I need) to know what model you have to determine if it is an AC or DC ignition - what is the VIN?

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
From Polaris

Model Name - YOUTH SPORTSMAN 90
Model Year - 2004
Model Number - A04FA09CA
Purchase Date - 12/13/2003
VIN - RF3FA09C64T082758
Engine Serial Number - AR07082758
Factory Warranty
Start Date - 12/13/2003
Expiration Date - 6/13/2004

OK - now it's verified it's a 2004 model

Now, how to get spark -

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know any good resources for finding information on the specifics of troubleshooting the items on that list. I found an 04 owners manual, but no repair/maintenance manual from the same year.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
8,614 Posts
Font Line Window Pattern Automotive exterior to the forum
Ball Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Font Gas

·
Registered
14,126 Posts
Do you know any good resources for finding information on the specifics of troubleshooting the items on that list. I found an 04 owners manual, but no repair/maintenance manual from the same year.
I have the service manual in PDF - sent you a PM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts