Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know i have asked this before but i couldnt get a respose so i figured ill try again. i have a 2002 polaris sportsman 700 and the coolant just seems to disappear. it has no leaks and some of the coolant will go into the overflow and actually overflow the overflow. it has a brand new radiator cap. but today i filled up the coolant, went on maybe hour or hour and a half drive and when i got home and let the atv cool and checked the coolant it was so far down the tube i couldnt see it as usual. What could be causing this? Also how hard is it to replace the rings and headgasket my quad? i have a service manual. thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesnt seem to be to me. i mean wouldnt it be very white and very noticeable?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Depends, could also be leaking possible. Would be worth pressurizing the system to be able to look for leaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is there any easy way to pressurize the system and check for leaks without buying a mity vac?

·
Registered
58 Posts
if you know anyone with a car radiator pressure tester you can get a jap car adapter to fit it and you will know quickly if the leak is internal or external i did it on my motorcycle

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ill try that! thank you.

·
Registered
68 Posts
alot of parts stores rent the pressure testers just a thought

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is prolly gonna be a very stupid question but does the whole cooling system need to be drained for this?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
this is prolly gonna be a very stupid question but does the whole cooling system need to be drained for this?
you want the cooling system full so you can see either an external leak or of course it would be internal
exactly! you want to top off the entire system so it is plum full. Then you use the correct adaptor for the radiator cap and presure the system to about 13 lbs of pressure, the same that the cap is rated at. too much and you will blow the system apart, too little and you wont get any effect.

This way, if there is a crack in the radiator or something along that line, it may be tight enought that with no pressure in the system (cold) it doesnt leak, but as it heats up when riding and pressure builds, the fluid pushes out this crack. When you get pressure in the system, you can then look for any leaks.

If you still cant find any, then it is probably internal and leaking into the oil or its burning it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i had bought a mity vac and pressurized the system to 13 lbs. i didnt see any visable leaks and the pressure didnt go down at all. i had drained and checked my oil for antifreeze a few days ago and theres NO antifreeze in it at all. the quad doesnt have any white smoke or a very weird smell so im very confused here! any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the radiator dirty? When was the last time the radiator was cleaned? The engine could be running just hot enough to push the antifreeze out the overflow. Just a thought......

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the radiator is actually rather clean. Also isnt the radiator cap suppose to keep the radiator full using the overflow and everything though? There is no reason that most of my coolant should go into the overflow and never come back into the radiator? right?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts