Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1994 polaris sportsman 400 the guy said it needed some work because when he started it it would rev high. He had just rebuilt the top end he said he got the cylinder bored at a shop and bought a piston to match. The atv will not start on its own so I took apart the carb and cleaned it and everything seemed fine. I poured a little bit of gas down the cylinder to see if it would run at all and when I did this it would start rev high and die right away so I tried one more time and this time it started and immediately started revving to wot so I shut it off. I am wondering if anyone has had something similar happen before or any advice on fixing this. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I inspected the boots and didnt notice any cracks or anything and made sure they were sealed when I installed the carb. How much should it be trying to pull in? I put my hand over the carb while turning it over and didn't feel much of a vacuum. Is there a way I can pin point the seals or at least which side ?

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Spray some carb cleaner around the carb boots and seals while it's running is the easiest way. With as bad as it sounds you will likely be able to visually inspect the crank seals. Sure you put the carb slide back in right so it is all the way down and closed? Maybe the idle screw is cranked way in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts