Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have some rot on the lower right frame rail of my sportsman 500. its where the footpeg connects..my question is is it still ok to ride? is the frame gonna snap? its seems fine to still ride. Also i was thinking of squirting some expanding foam in there to prevent water from getting into the frame and making it worse. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
How bad is it?

I don't think I'd fill it with foam, as the foam may still allow some water in and then it will rust out faster (as it will hold the water in place). I'd have a local welder patch and strengthen up the area a little. Then spray it with a good rust preventing / converting spray paint.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Just reinforce it by welding a piece of metal
In there to brace it....don't spray foam it

·
Registered
225 Posts
Get some Por 15 clean and recoat sucker. It is spendy stuff but it is the best for rust repair. It is vital to use ppe while applying it in a well ventilated area.

After your done ( super easy to do) the repaired recoated area will be stronger then the non repairee area.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Better to properly repair now than to half ass it by doing the spray foam and waiting for the damage to be catastrophic.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How bad is it?

I don't think I'd fill it with foam, as the foam may still allow some water in and then it will rust out faster (as it will hold the water in place). I'd have a local welder patch and strengthen up the area a little. Then spray it with a good rust preventing / converting spray paint.
Its about 10 inches long where the right foot peg connects on the outer part of the tube. you can see inside of the tube

1 - 7 of 7 Posts