Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 sportsman 700 tachometer all of a sudden says zero. I believe it could be due to no flywheel magnets because they fell out (I have an RMStator) can someone confirm this? And where would be a good place to find a flywheel online?

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Does the engine run? The tach gets it's signal from the ignition.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the engine run? The tach gets it's signal from the ignition.
Yes, the engine will run. But that’s only because of the RMStator I think. But I was wonder if the tach gets its signal from the stator.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
The tach is triggered off the yel/red wire going to the rec/reg - is the yel/red wire going to the speedo disconnected?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tach is triggered off the yel/red wire going to the rec/reg - is the yel/red wire going to the speedo disconnected?
No, it’s all connected, but as I said I think it’s the magnets on the flywheel because I stuck a flywheel that was for an 04 I had a tach. But the four wheeler miss fired bad.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
I guess I'm ignorant - how could installing a new stator cause a magnet problem? Or are you trying to say the magnets fell out of the OEM flywheel and you got a new flywheel from RMSTATOR and installed it, but got an 04 flywheel and put it on your 02 machine? I just checked RMstator and could not find a flywheel for a 700. I guess I still don't know what your problem is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I'm ignorant - how could installing a new stator cause a magnet problem? Or are you trying to say the magnets fell out of the OEM flywheel and you got a new flywheel from RMSTATOR and installed it, but got an 04 flywheel and put it on your 02 machine? I just checked RMstator and could not find a flywheel for a 700. I guess I still don't know what your problem is.
I’m sorry, this is a bit hard to explain. Basically my original flywheel lost its magnets and when I lost them I lost my tach. I have an RMStator cdi so it will still run. But I bought a flywheel from the 04, labeled FF95. The FF95 is the one it misfired on. But it had a working tach on the FF95.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
So you are saying you got an RMstator AC to DC conversion kit and the RMstator flywheel lost it's magnets? It will have to be replaced by an RMstator flywheel - just contact RMstator and tell them what you need.

You can't go mixing parts willy nilly and expect a good outcome. Try using an ignition system capacitor in a motor starter circuit - the result will be exciting!

Maybe put a 1/2 inch reach spark plug in a 3/4 deep hole - it will still start and run, but it won't run right and then you wonder why; after all, it's a new plug?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So you are saying you got an RMstator AC to DC conversion kit and the RMstator flywheel lost it's magnets? It will have to be replaced by an RMstator flywheel - just contact RMstator and tell them what you need.

You can't go mixing parts willy nilly and expect a good outcome. Try using an ignition system capacitor in a motor starter circuit - the result will be exciting!

Maybe put a 1/2 inch reach spark plug in a 3/4 deep hole - it will still start and run, but it won't run right and then you wonder why; after all, it's a new plug?
It was the original flywheel.. I probably need to save and just get an new one. They cost quite a bit for an 02. Idk where to look

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
So you are running a flywheel with no magnets?

Look for part number 4060152 - $400 dealer cost $455 retail

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you latebird! I found a cheap on on eBay in good working condition, I got it and it should be in Tuesday. I will try to give updates to you or if I have any more questions.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you latebird! I found a cheap on on eBay in good working condition, I got it and it should be in Tuesday. I will try to give updates to you or if I have any more questions.
And yes it had NO magnets at all in my old one.

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
With no magnets not only would your tach not work, it would not charge the battery either

1 - 15 of 15 Posts