Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Pilot jet in carb is always the first thing that comes to mind in this situation.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Pilot jet operates on the Venturi principle and clogs easily with varnish and gunk. I think cleaning the carb may help. I would take it to a professional if its beyond your scope of ability to do it.

You could also try a dose of seafoam in the gas as it can remove varnish build up.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a million. I have cleaned it and seen that the pilot jet was clear of any obstructions that I'm aware of. Will the pilot needle being out of adjustment cause idle to fluctuate or the pilot jet being clogged cause my problem

Sent from my LGL86C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The mixture screw out of adjustment will do it as will a cracked carb boot or even some water in the fuel. Did you remove the pilot jet and clean it and the passage?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes. I took it completely apart. How big of a crack in the intake boot will cause problems

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Any crack. pinhole even. Smaller it is the more inconsistent the problem will be. Spray some carb cleaner around the boots and intake area while it's running and see if the idle changes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. When I took my carb off to rebuild it I did notice a clean crack right above the foot of the boot that attaches the boot to the cylinder head. The crack looked like two pieces put together to make one that eventually separated slightly. It runs across the bottom, from one bolt head to the other. It isn't where the intake and gasket mates up to the head, but the boot itself.
After seeing the crack while the carb was off I placed my hand over the boot and turned the engine over till I felt suction and stoped. While keeping my hand in place, the suction I felt didn't get any less. I held my hand there for about 30 or 40 seconds, and it still held. With that being said will the engine still experience an intake leak while running

1 - 13 of 13 Posts