Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site, been a lurker for awhile and finally signed up!

2000 Polaris Sportsman 500 won't start and I have two problems. Pull cord is pulled all the way out and had no tension when I bought the quad. I'm thinking just replace the recoil starter and spring? Problem two is when I use the electric start all the starter does is spin but doesn't crank the engine. Checked solonoid and that's good to go, power to all the right places. Replaced the starter so that's brand new. Pulled out the starter drive and it looks like it's shot but I have no way of knowing.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas of what else to try or should I just replace the starter drive and recoil starter and go from there? Live in Maine and need it to plow and for ice fishing so need help ASAP! Thx in advance!!!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
It's time for a new starter drive.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled out the starter drive this afternoon and cleaned it out really well and wiped it down along with the two places it seeds into. Lubed her up a little and put her back in along with the recoil starter housing without the spring and pulley because those are crap and she started up great multiple times. I'm ordering a new pulley and spring for the recoil assembly tonight, my next question is do I order a new starter drive as well? Is my cleaning out and lubing of the old starter drive going to hold up or just continue to act up when it gets dirty again? Just not sure on the life of these parts. Anyone have an idea???

Thanks for the replies so far and for the welcome!!!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Most times failed starter with a good battery is a dirty bendix drive....if the pull start was broke..I bet it was riden that way and got dirt an water in there...make sure inside is cleaned good....no rust or dirt in there to grime up bendix again....put a dab of grease in the bushing on the cover....use a light oil on the bendix..like 3 n 1 oil....and you may be fine since its starting good now...also make sure you have the right pull handle..it covers the pull guide on the cover so no water an dirt gets in....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So here's an update so far. New parts are here, starter drive went in without a problem (obv because it's easy) but the recoil assembly with new pully and parts not so much. I got the spring back in and get the pully loaded with pull cord set in on top and I can get it to engage the spring but it just doesn't work smoothly or even wind the pull cord back in when I go to pull it out. Any ideas? How am I screwing up?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
did you unwind pulley first before you added the rope...so the spring will pull it back in...need to load tension on spring so it returns....also spray a little all purpose spray lube on assembly..

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yep you have to preload the spring. How I do it is load it up and then feed the rope through to the spool inside. This saves taking off the handle. Once it is done when you let it go it will pull in the rope and be ready for your next pull start.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, thanks for the help on the recoil assembly. I got it working properly and got it back on and everything. So now I'm really stumped, I've got it back on and go to pull start it and the recoil starter works but its not engaging anything or cranking the engine. My guess is its somehow not engaging the flywheel? The pulley works fine but there's like no tension beyond what the spring in the recoil assembly provides. I bought this wheeler used so is there a chance that there is a part that goes between the recoil assembly and the flywheel that is missing????

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
there could be parts missing....there is a little spring in thee also...could be broke missing...

this is what basicly is in there..... Moose Pull Start Rebuild Kit Polaris Sportsman 500 1996 2006 | eBay

careful when taking it apart..the big spring will unwind..but you should be able to see if any missing parts with out getting to big spring ....just keep pressure on the pulley is all at all times...haha..and check the engagement parts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts