Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody. This last week I broke my wrist while riding my dirt bike, and since I have had a lot of down time, I have been thinking about how much more fun and safer a 4-Wheeler would be. I have been looking into the Polaris Sportsman XP 850 H.O. w/ EPS, and I am really liking how it looks and performs. I was wondering if you guys think this would be a good 4-Wheeler to get for Work, Hunting, and Play.

P.S. Here is a picture of my wrist. I broke it on Monday after school.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Of course it would be!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is there any problems or anything any of you have experienced with this particular model?
Yeah, but no more than any other machine.

On the xp line. The following are not uncommon
Bushings and ball joints wear out quickly on some.
Some have had frames crack in spots.
Axles can be broken
Throttle position sensor issues
Eps relays corrode on some, this is about a $2 and 15 minute fix.

I have not had any issues with mine at all. That's the only bad thing about reading any forum too much. You don't hear much about the thousands that have 0 issues.

I can tell you this way...I bought one and can easily afford any atv or side by side made, and I chose the machine in my signature...I would make the same choice if I had it to do over again!

·
Super Moderator
7,182 Posts
Look for a used one. You can pick up a nice 09-10 for under $5k. Or even a 550 if you want to save a few more dollars and still have the great ride, handling and utility of the XP but just a little less power.
A "little less power" is the under statement of the day so far. lol However, seeing the x-ray photo's, maybe that would be a good thing. :)
There is nothing else on the market that I would trade my 850 for. Great machines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hahaha My wrist is gonna be stronger cause I know have a titanium plate in it, so power isn't a problem for me. The only reason I broke my wrist is because I was doing a wheelie on the dirt bike down the road and went over backwards doing 25 MPH.

I have used my grandpa's Sportsman 550 many times and it is a very good quad!! I kinda want the extra power though because I would use it for towing fully loaded cherry and apple bins, and I imagine when I use it for S.A.R. in my community the extra power to get to places a little quicker may help. But I live on a farm so power is important!! Hahaha

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have used my grandpa's Sportsman 550 many times and it is a very good quad!! I kinda want the extra power though because I would use it for towing fully loaded cherry and apple bins,
I tow some fairly heavy things with my 700 which has HP rating nearly the same as my 550. The 550 should easily tow anything rated and a little more than rated. I would be more concerned about braking a heavy load than anything else as engine doesn't make a difference there.

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Ooch!!! Good luck with the 850 - you'll like it.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Glad you're OK!! That fracture looks worthy of a nice plate and about 8 screws. And please note that it will never be stronger than it was prior, just ask Rob Gronkowski about that as he was plated in the same spot and has re-fractured it twice now ;)

If you're used to the power of 2 stoke dirt bikes, an 850 Polaris or a 1000 can-am are the only way you'll feel at home in the utility line of quads IMO. Everything else will just feel heavy.

If you go used, I'd try an get a 2012 or later as they worked out some of the kinks by then. Most of the problems with them are already listed so no sense in repeating. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ This is true. The 850 feels like the utility version of a 450 race bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts