Polaris ATV Forum banner

Poll: For the 850 engine, have you ever had oil in your airbox?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2009 - 2011 SPORTSMAN XP 850 Tech Tip.

The fix in the Polaris Tech Tip is the same as the one developed by Supercoe with one exception. Use grease on the bottom O ring (number 5 in Supercoe's pic) to help it slide into the labyrinth hole (number 8 in Supercoe's pic). Supercoe, please add your picture to this thread so we have everything in one place.

So just coat the O ring with a little grease to help it slide better and follow Supercoe's solution of gently twisting the Rocker Cover Breather assembly down. Twist it in before bolting it in place.

I see two O rings in the diagram and I would probably grease them both.

If you do this fix and you still get oil in the airbox, it may be because the labyrinth was bent during the initial install or the Rocker Cover Breather is still not in the labyrinth hole correctly. This can be seen by leaving the Rocker Cover Breather assembly on the Rocker Cover, removing the Rocker Cover and then looking at the labyrinth to see if it is pushed away from the side of the Rocker Cover. I don't know how resilient the labyrinth is.

The torque spec for the two Rocker Cover Breather assembly bolts is 15.5 foot pounds.

See the service manual for Rocker Cover bolts torque specs if you need those.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats to Supercoe for figuring out the fix and providing the solution to the community before the factory.
:applaus:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
I will add that polaris did just recently release a "Team Tip" to all the dealers that describes how to fix this problem in just this way. I find it awesome that Supercoe figured it out first, on his own.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for the compliment but let's see if this works for someone else besides me before getting to excited. ;)

If anyone has tried this solution please post your results of it working/not working/helping/etc...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think your fix will work just fine for anyone so long as the labyrinth plate hasn't been damaged by excess pressure, I suspect mine has had this done pre-delivery as the breather screws appear to have been undone and there was a dribble of oil on the cover assembly screw so my dealer may be aware of it, I will ask them when I take it in for the 1st service. Is there a source somewhere out there of tech tips and service bulletins from Polaris?

Best Regards - MM :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MonkeyMan, these dealers should have the tech info.

RURAL SOLUTIONS
139 MAIN ROAD
SORELL 7172
Phone: 03 6269 2233

WESTBURY RURAL SERVICES
62 MEANDER HIGHWAY
WESTBURY 7303
Phone: 03 6393 2233

NORTH WEST MOTORCYCLES
5 REIBEY STREET
ULVERSTONE 7315
Phone: 03 6425 3337

·
Registered
249 Posts
MonkeyMan, these dealers should have the tech info.

RURAL SOLUTIONS
139 MAIN ROAD
SORELL 7172
Phone: 03 6269 2233

WESTBURY RURAL SERVICES
62 MEANDER HIGHWAY
WESTBURY 7303
Phone: 03 6393 2233

NORTH WEST MOTORCYCLES
5 REIBEY STREET
ULVERSTONE 7315
Phone: 03 6425 3337
Thanks for that!! It's a good network when someone from the other side of the rock can direct me to my local agent, I bought my Quad from Westbury Rurual Services and Patrick out there is a very helpful bloke indeed. I was more referring to an online repositry of tech bulletins for all to refer to when needed. I did download the 09 850XP manual but at some stage I will purchase a printed copy of the service manual for my 850 XP X2 LE (or as close a manual as I can get to it anyhow).

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Monkey man- I try to share as much tech tips and service bulletins that relate as best as I can from the Polaris dealer network. I can't directly post the bulletins because of copyright law, but I can share the info. I did see the Polaris team tip on the and it's says nothing more then what is in this thread

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ok I just have a question for you guys : why Polaris made a brand new valve cover design if the solution is to put some grease on the breather o-ring?!

·
Registered
217 Posts
The solution is not the grease, it's that the grease allows the breather to sit without bending the labyrinth out of spec.

I doubt this solution will fix everyones problem.

It's simply interesting that this fixed my issue and now Polaris has a tech bulletin about it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The solution is not the grease, it's that the grease allows the breather to sit without bending the labyrinth out of spec.

I doubt this solution will fix everyones problem.

It's simply interesting that this fixed my issue and now Polaris has a tech bulletin about it.
Ok, I'm happy if this tip can help somebody to fix his trouble, but why polaris took that much time for a simple solution like this, when we know this problem exist since 2009?!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ok, I'm happy if this tip can help somebody to fix his trouble, but why polaris took that much time for a simple solution like this, when we know this problem exist since 2009?!
Because I just told them about the fix a few days ago. :pom:

Kidding aside, who knows why?
Problems become inflated on the internet, forums blow things out of perspective.
Maybe from the view of Polaris the issue wasn't that large or they thought it was fixed with the previous redesign.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Monkey man- I try to share as much tech tips and service bulletins that relate as best as I can from the Polaris dealer network. I can't directly post the bulletins because of copyright law, but I can share the info. I did see the Polaris team tip on the and it's says nothing more then what is in this thread
Fully understandable and I don't expect anyone to do anything illegal, thanks for sharing what you have...

1 - 20 of 262 Posts