Polaris ATV Forum banner

Poll: For the 850 engine, have you ever had oil in your airbox?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Orange Crush,
I feel stalked... lol j/k glad to be of service.

Makavel07,
Fantastic, I was hoping something would work for you! :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks supercoe for update so you took off the felt filter and ran without and it was ok or did you clean filter out and reuse? just wondering what is the purpose of the felt anybody know? make sense it would kinda act like straw when soaked in oil
I removed the breather filter. I'm not sure of it's purpose as the breather diaphragm spring seals it off when the engine isn't running. When the engine is running the vacuum from the intake wouldn't allow anything to go that direction down the tube. I'm not worried about it not being there.

Has someone made a poll yet to find out exactly how many of us have oil in the box?
or better yet, does anyone have a 2011 that has been ridden hard, not have oil in the box?
I've been a die hard Polaris man for over a decade, something like this could end that quick!
A poll would be neat I guess but most people come to a forum with a problem, many people have a perfectly running machine and never visit here. My friends identical machine that we picked up from the same dealer on the same day doesn't have the problem.

After riding through the craziest 2 foot snow covered hilly forest all weekend I'm completely sold on Polaris simply because of how amazing this machine is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update...
I took my 850 xp to the dealer on sat for them to fix the oil in the airbox issue.. I received a call from them this afternoon. The tech there said he followed the instruction for the Polaris Tech Tip fix and it did not solve the problem. He called Polaris and informed them of the problem. They told him they were working on fixing the defect and would get back to him when they had one.. Looks like i may be waiting around for a while.. Not sure which route i should take now.. I spent 10K last month on a toy that is stuck in repair shop...

·
Registered
217 Posts
saber177,

Sorry to hear about not being able to ride your new toy, this is exactly why I didn't want to bring mine into the dealer unless the issue becomes impossible to stop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish I would have tryed to fix it myself now... Just disappointing the new design is having issues.. When it is running, man it is unbelievable.. I'm ready to hit the trail.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Saber177, did the tech pull the rocker cover off to verify the labyrinth was not pushed away from the edge of the rocker cover? See the first post at the beginning of this thread.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Blueline do you know if this problem is covered by my warranty?

·
Registered
44 Posts
oil in airbox

Just checking in to see if you guys that removed the felt from the breather are still oil free??? I havnt done any riding myself yet Checking to see how its working for you guys Hope it is still working out
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
My importer sealed the laberynth as Polairs tip suggests (the plastic plate is curved, even in new, replacement valve covers). It has worked so far; oil free though haven't tested it hard enough yet.

Marcelo

·
Registered
721 Posts
Brand new 850. I put on 200 miles at Hatfield last weekend and no issues to report.

·
Registered
18 Posts
good news

ive taken 2 short rides so far about 20 miles so far since i took the felt off, and ive got no oil. hopefully this means my baby is good to go, thanks again fellas. ill keep posting if it changes

·
Registered
44 Posts
oil in airbox fix

good to hear somthing positive on this issue im going to put on newer updated updated breather on mine and probably not going to put felt on even though ordered new one keep us posted

·
Registered
192 Posts
Awww crap, Mine too!

I guess I could fix it myself, but who pays for my new filter and any other problems associated with taking parts off of my machine. What about my warranty will this void it?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Awww crap, Mine too!

I guess I could fix it myself, but who pays for my new filter and any other problems associated with taking parts off of my machine. What about my warranty will this void it?
i just brought mine in warranty covers it and then i have a clear mind without being worried and then they said they'd look over the rest of my machine for free i was pretty pumped

·
Registered
217 Posts
I could see how a dealer might place the blame on removing this filter if something goes wrong but really I don't see what problems could happen because of this felt missing?

Someone here must have taken the valve cover off an 850, maybe they could let us know if there is a valid reason this filter needs to be there?

It's starting to make me want to take it apart just to see what's inside. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oil in mine today. Took off the felt, cleaned it all out, greased the O-ring, twisted it making sure it was in there good, 45 min hard ride and air box full of oil again!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sounds like the Labrinyth plate is bent! :shocked:

41 - 60 of 262 Posts