Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 800 efi. I have to push the throttle for the bike to start, if i turn just the key it will just turn over and never crank. Once i push the throttle it fires up and dies if i dont keep a little pressure on it. As long as i dont let it die it is still rideable and still has power but runs real ruff. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Bad fuel could cause some issues like this so maybe clean your fuel system. Also you can try adjusting your throttle cable. Also inspect the throttle body. Sometimes the rubber boot on the throttle body can get a crack in it and allow air to enter there. I had a similar issue when mine was newer and it ended up being the throttle body. Replaced throttle body and no issues since. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would check the free play. if it has too much it will not idle, and won't run right.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I'd look at the free play in the throttle cable first. It should be no more than 1/8". The adjustment is just below the handlbar on the cable.

If you find no slack, then first freshen the fuel.

If it still does the same after that, you may have a bad TPS(throttle position sensor).

Do you hear the pump running before you try to start it?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
TPS or throttle body is what it sounds like to me if you have already checked the throttle cable. I don't claim to be an expert but mine did that and had multiple dealerships say they wanted to replace my ECU. I got on the forums and was told to check the TB and i did. No problems since. If you still think it is electrical, does everything on your pod work fine? If there is anything not working on your pod display that could also be your issue. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 07 sportsman did the same thing. I adjusted the throttle cable and all was fine. You can also pull your spark plugs and check they are not all fouled up...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, So i checked the cable and i tightend it up a bit so it would idle. Well still running rough. I decided to change the spark plugs thinking may have fowled one out. I checked to make sure the the wires weren't bad both had an arc. The left side gave off a bright blue spark then the right side would give off a blue spark then about 3 yellows then maybe a blue again, I found this strange but went ahead and hooked everything back up to see if would make a diff, still running rough. Put a heat gun on the front manifold left was 420deg, the right side was about 260-280deg, making me think it might be the coil. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm no expert by any means but when a spark plug fires yellow or orange, you can bet it's the coil not delivering enough juice. Some people have tried to tell me that a coil works or doesn't work...they are wrong! I would have that coil checked and or replaced.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Have you tryed reversing the spark plugs and see if the heat changes to the other side? This will tell you if you have a bad plug or coil,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Racer37, I have not yet done so, i will start with that this evening.
I pulled the codes last night and I got a 21 which is for loss of sync of the crank, I found a post where a guy said he pulled his tps off and cleaned it, im guessing it worked fine after that, I am also going to clean it this evening. Please if you may have any ideas I would like to hear them. I will post again with the out come of theses two.
Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ssebastian86, did you ever figure out the problem? I am having problems with my 2006 sportsman 800efi as well. I was pulling a trailer the other day and it just died. It would crank over fine, but will not start unless I give it a little throttle. Once it starts the rpm's are high, very little throttle and it will over rev. It will not idle, runs rough and backfires. I have changed the plugs, checked the battery, output is good, checked wires, but don't see anything obvious.

Thanks for any input

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi my friends, I ´m new here.
Mine is a Sportsman 700 4x4

The mechanics in my town don´t know how to fix my problem.

The throttle cable is on a wrong route for sure. When the steering is straight I turn it to adjust on 1000 rpm.

When I turn right ot left the RPM goes high and it becomes dangerous.

The other day I was parked and on my way out I almost hit a car. Not to mention all the troubles it gives me.

Where can I get a schematic route for this cable?

Thanks!!!!! a lot!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I figured out what was going on, My TPS Sensor was bad. The front motor mount had went bad allowing the motor to move when it tourqed hitting the sensor on the frame. It wasnt cracked or anything. I finnally gave up trying to fix it my self after replacing coil packs plugs wires air sensor an drained the fuel. I took it to the dealer and they had it going for me immidiatly replacing the TPS and the front motor mount. I got lucky it only cost about 200. I hope this helps anyone one that is having the same problems and thank you all for the help!!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Wow, this is getting confusing...

First off, Tehua, Sorry to read of the problems and even tho they are associated with the original posters this is his thread. You will get far better responses if you begin your own thread. Your problem is either routing of the throttle cable OR simply its adjustment.

ssebastian86,
The miss adjusted throttle cable is but part of your issue. It is whats not allowing the machine to remain running. There is contacts in the throttle tht are like a "dead man" in other words they keep the machine form running off at speed if no one is pushing the throttle. Its a safety and if not properly adjusted as recommended the machine will not run.
The weak spark is another issue and likely the reason for the rough running. Check the wire. Another member posted up he found the wires bad after pulling his hair out changing other parts and adjusting things. So start there. Switching sides is a good idea. Then change/switch the plug. If these pass obviously the issue is with the coil.

Good luck,
CW

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
In my last post I said I found the problem it was the tps sensor, but thanks for the info.
GREAT to read!!! Sorry I missed it, like I said, it was getting confusing...

CW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts