Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just picked up this 250 quad TB. a few months back,

it rode fine for a while its not electric start but it takes a key and im not sure what year it is, or even how to find what year it may be.

when i first got it i accidentley mixed the gas and poured it straight in, instead of putting the 2stroke mix in the one side, and the gas in the other
( it mixes itself )

i think this may be the problem, but when i turn the key and pull the cord there is wayy too much tension on the line, like the motor is seized or something?

im thinkin i may have ruined the seals/gaskets around the engine, and thats why its so hard to pull.

there is almost no way to pull it after it goes so far and i dont want to keep pulling so hard on it, and break something.

can anyone help/know or heard of this problem before?

have i ruined the seals inside and just need to replace them or is there something more sinister going on here...

thanks for any assistance

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
what'd you do, mix the gas with 2stroke oil 50:1 and poured that mixture into the gas tank? if so, i wouldn't worry about it, it just may smoke a little. some people block off their oil injection completely and just run premix. i've had to pour 50:1 into my 4stroke just because i ran out of gas out in the woods and only had my chainsaw gas with me. just ran rich and smoked a bit, probably wasn't too good for my plug either... only ran it like that for a couple miles to get back to the barn then drained carb and filled up with clean gas - no harm done.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats not the problem before it messed up it ran fine even after i poured the premix in the actual gas tank,

its just that the pull start is VERY hard to pull.

it feels like your pulling an elephant when you try and pullstart it,

and it has no electric start,

im afraid it has seized up or something of the sort.

but yeah its just so hard to try and pull start makes me fear that i've seized the motor or somethin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i had a friend pull it a few times, and the piston will actually move, but he also said its very hard to pull,

when he does pull it you can hear the piston move though, very slowly but it moves.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think this may be part of the problem,

i believe i poured the wrong kind of oil in the mix part of the gas/mix storage.

instead of putting 2stroke mix, i think i put actual engine oil.

could this cause the motor to seize? or is there anyway to fix what i've done

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
sounds like you may have toasted your rings or worse..... i believe a top end pull is in your near future.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would definately pull the spark plug and try to start it....if it is easy...you have a starting point.....easy if it blows a bunch of gas out when you pull...more involved if it doesn't. Let me explain..I had a suzuki with a carb needle valve that would leak when the bike was off...leaked (eventually after overflowing the carb bowl) into the cylinder and made it feel like it was siezed...but it was full of feul. pulled the carb and cleaned the jets/needles and all was well afterward. If its easy to pull but doesn't blow gas...i would start looking at the valve timing...if it is still hard after pulling the plug....probably bad news

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the info!

im in much better shape ' information wise' than i was a few days ago..

im hopefuly selling it for 500$ seem like a good price for it being possible tore up?

i dont really like quads anyway, i bought my first dirtbike by myself last year in november, and got hit by an ' appointed constable ' in march >.>
(kx 250 )
i loved that bike =(.

then i had a 94 Cr500r, bought for 500, sold for 250 because of major problems.
it was all fucked up, but it still ran like a mother fu**er, more power than i would ever need.

ill deffinitley look into these suggestions, thank you both Very much.

one other thing..
where is the spark plug located?
LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok so i pulled the plug, but it didnt blow any gas out,
the spark plug is all fouled out, so its no good anymore.

i dont know much about the ' jets '

how much might this run me, if i take it to a shop ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts