Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new here and have a question. I just purchasted a 1992 Polaris 250. I'm sure you know it has the belt driven trans. I'm not sure if something is wrong or not but the motor seems to rev up pretty high at a higher speed for no faster than it is going. It's like high gear is only one gear ratio and never changes. Is this normal or could it be the pully that spreads apart and squeezes in is stuck?

The guy I got it from sad he got it from an old man and the 4 wheeler had set for a long time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey, not quite understanding the question. The trans you have is a cvt, that's Polaris's trade mark. The engine will wind up and you will go, But as you speed up the belt ratio changes, Giving a smooth slip to a higher speed. If this does not happen than I would check the belt, the primary and secondary assemblys. And your engine may not be making enough power, or you have too much drag. From what I remember those 250's were not very quick. Good luck...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks easydoz1, for your help. I will pull the cover and check what you said. The engine seems to have plenty of power for a 250. It almost seems like the ratio isn't changing the way it should. Like driving a car with a 3 speed trans down the hwy in second gear. This thing has spent a lot of time setting and the pullys just may not be working right do to rust/corrosion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts