Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GUys,
I need some help.
Been riding for about 3 years on an 07 Sportsmen 500 EFi.
Thinkin about upgrading this year.
I hunt, go to Hatfield/McCoy a couple time a year, plow snow with my 07.
I dont need to have the biggest baddest ATV around.
I am torn between, Polaris 550, 850 and the Can Ams.
Id love to hear stories about these machines to help me make up my mind.
Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Go to Jacobs ATV magazine and look at the difference between the sportsman frame and the canam. That should make up your mind.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It really depends on your budget! If you want the biggest and baddest go with the Can Am 800 or 1000 but if your like me and have a strict budget then go buy a new Sportsman 800EFI for $6300 OTD and you will be happier then a pig in shit! lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im interested how the Can Ams are on trail rides, not at high speeds.
I have ridden the 850 Sportsmen and it seems happy to putt around the woods or rip and tear at high speeds.

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
If you want the best ride and, in my opinion, the best 4x4 system, then Polaris is the atv for you. If you want more of a sport bike feel and ride, then can am would suit you better. Having ridden both, I also prefer the feel of the Polaris power steering.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The sportsman 850 has probably the smoothest power, and it has one of the smoothest rides from the factory.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Polaris is a slightly more comfortable ride, but can not compare to the power and wow factor of the can am.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just jumped up from an 05 500ho to an 850xp and i'm impressed so far. When you jump from a 500 either one will give you the wow factor. Polaris has a 1,000 rebate on the 850's right now. I just felt the XP was the best quad for the price. The Can-Am's are deffinetly nice, IMO are a little over priced.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The Can Am gets so hot on your legs while riding i threw it and it's inflated price out the door. A friend of mine just paid a fortune to get his muffler ceramic coated to try and cut back on all of the heat. Go to their forums.

I have a 2011 850 touring. (over 1000 miles) My wife wanted her own and she could have any kind out there. She rode all of the major makers. She liked my touring better than any other she rode so I bought her one.

The Canam brand has a big engine for sure but, the polaris 850 runs almost as fast and almost as quick for thousands less. Polaris did some real design work in the 550 and 850. They turned the engine in the frame which makes the power transfer much smoother. The muffler's are also on the back of the machine away from the operator.

I heard Canam fixed the major problem they had with the frames breaking in half. How can a manufacturer make a machine with an inferior frame?

Did I mention the Canam's are super hot on your legs?

I bought mine in Altoona from Helsel's hardware. Super nice people and he gives 10% discount on all accessories after the sale. I haven't found any dealer do that any where. (they were also way less in price)

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
The new G2 Can Ams are not hot on the legs like the old ones. I ride my 1000 in the middle of summer with shorts on. Polaris is cheaper. A few Can Am G2s had frames cracking at the front, cracking, not failing. Can Ams frame issue was fixed with a brace and 7 year frame warranty. Can Am is not the only one with frame issues. Cough cough XP.....Do a search on here. And Popo is not warrantying them ALL like CA.
Try them both and decide for yourself. People here are gonna say buy Popo, people on the Can Am forums are gonna say buy CA. You'll have fun on both.
Don't forget, a good dealer is very helpful after the purchase.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The new G2 Can Ams are not hot on the legs like the old ones. I ride my 1000 in the middle of summer with shorts on. Polaris is cheaper. A few Can Am G2s had frames cracking at the front, cracking, not failing. Can Ams frame issue was fixed with a brace and 7 year frame warranty. Can Am is not the only one with frame issues. Cough cough XP.....Do a search on here. And Popo is not warrantying them ALL like CA.
Try them both and decide for yourself. People here are gonna say buy Popo, people on the Can Am forums are gonna say buy CA. You'll have fun on both.
Best post yet....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Best post yet....
Polaris is cheaper and superior. See polaris frame below in attached thumbnail. Then look at a canam in the next post. Looks like canam was trying to make a motorcycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Canam frame(see thumbnail below). Why would a company that sells $13k machine build a frame like this? Only one reason....make more money. Polaris does the same thing but they have a much better track record and they have machines within the reach of most pocket books. I almost got pulled in by Canam as i could afford either until I saw the frame design and was shocked. The only thing superior on a Canam is the engine as Rotax (bombardier) also manufactures aircraft engines so the are cutting edge in quality and engineering.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Let me see if I understand.
If I buy a 1000 Canam it will not burn my legs.

So the smaller one still burns your legs.

I can only wonder why, if with all of Canam's airplane engineering their engineers never rode the machine and realized they had a heat problem.

Just because a company has their name on a machine doesn't mean it is engineered to the same specifications as another division owned by the same name..

When a large company decides to manufacture something the first thing discussed at the board table is "how much money can we make".

I have owned a bunch of SeaDoo's. They are without a doubt the best Jet Ski made. There 941 CC engine ran circles around other manufacturer's 1200 engines.
You can't say that about the 1000 Canam verses the Polaris 850.

The bottom line is, their 4 wheelers are crap for the money! They are 250ccs bigger than the 850 and yet there performance isn't worth the extra gas they burn. Not to mention their inflated cost.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Canam doesn't have airplane engineers building their ATV's. However, the Rotax engine line is designed by the same group that makes their aircraft engines and I have flown under them many a time. Some twenty years ago and their engines are top notch. As for the rest of their design it looks to me they wanted to make assembly line manufacturing their number one priority rather than durability. Amazing, they put on factory bumpers but leave their POS frame completely exposed and force a serious trail rider to spend another few hundred bucks to buy skid plates to protect their weak frame and then charge the highest prices in the industry for their machines. Wouldn't it be nice to have a manufacturer think about the consumer rather than the shareholder! Polaris does the same thing too some degree but apparently they still have the consumer in mind at some level but corporate greed always prevails.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my own experience the xp chassis is a pos,constant breakdowns,tons of maintenance and high cost of ownership.That being said it is a great machine to drive as long as you dont mind working on an almost new machine and thats with the polaris extended warranty that in canada only covers things covered in oil.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
Canam frame(see thumbnail below). Why would a company that sells $13k machine build a frame like this? Only one reason....make more money. Polaris does the same thing but they have a much better track record and they have machines within the reach of most pocket books. I almost got pulled in by Canam as i could afford either until I saw the frame design and was shocked. The only thing superior on a Canam is the engine as Rotax (bombardier) also manufactures aircraft engines so the are cutting edge in quality and engineering.
Let me see if I understand.
If I buy a 1000 Canam it will not burn my legs.

So the smaller one still burns your legs.

I can only wonder why, if with all of Canam's airplane engineering their engineers never rode the machine and realized they had a heat problem.

Just because a company has their name on a machine doesn't mean it is engineered to the same specifications as another division owned by the same name..

When a large company decides to manufacture something the first thing discussed at the board table is "how much money can we make".

I have owned a bunch of SeaDoo's. They are without a doubt the best Jet Ski made. There 941 CC engine ran circles around other manufacturer's 1200 engines.
You can't say that about the 1000 Canam verses the Polaris 850.

The bottom line is, their 4 wheelers are crap for the money! They are 250ccs bigger than the 850 and yet there performance isn't worth the extra gas they burn. Not to mention their inflated cost.
I'm not brand loyal like so many here and on the can am forums. I have Can Am, Honda and Polaris bikes. Honda is hands down most reliable, but boring. If I thought the Polaris 850 was better I would have bought it instead of my Outlander. That was MY choice. The CA dealer here is better to deal with than the Polaris dealer.
That Can Am frame pictured is a G1 not a G2. you're comparing old brp technology to polaris's newest. The G2s don`t burn your legs. Those are 2012 800/1000 shorties and 2013 500/650/800/1000 shorties and maxes. You have to do your research and don't belive everything on the net.
1000-850 = 150 not 250! lol and the 1000 will burn less fuel than the 850 every trip, always.
the Polaris 850 is a great bike, esp for the price. the can am is more expensive for sure. like i said, try them both and buy the one you like.
and BRP hasn't been part of Bombardier Inc. (planes and trains) since 2003. where have you been?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Recreational_Products

1 - 20 of 179 Posts