Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's good to hear, never many other issues but those damn things sure like the water holes for cooling down up here. I have a buddy with a done up 750 king I'd like to go riding with, haven't had my scrambler next to one, all I know is the power isn't as good as the brutes, canned hams and Polaris 850s.
Yep its always been there when both my 850s are broke down, but I dont got the 750 king, but my dads firend roy dues its nice bike 4800 miles problem free.
2011 polaris 850 non eps- 1900-2000 miles
2011 polaris 850 eps- 1700 miles
2008 800 touring- 21,000 miles (broke 1 axle, 1 frame, had to have lots of work done in the tranny, front diff, fan, 2 a-arms, turf, front drive shaft) most was covered so I did not got mad.
2008 suzuki kingquad 400 as- 10K
2004 suzuki ozark 250- never rode anything near as hard as this bike you name it for riding it its done it or atepted it- bet 20,000 plus
08 yamaha grizzly 350 about 200 miles

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Go with a can am, the 850 is a power house but you got to put up with polaris. Unless you got a damn good dealer.
I had a good dealer (or person that helped) but then there sevice manger retired and when that happened it went to crap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes the 850 has power I know because I have one it was great until I rode the big Can Am . Them theirs the gas mileage the Polaris is a gas hog. I have a 1000 max and it is good on gas compared to the 850 and even the 550 if you can keep off the gas. Must be the Rot ax.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
He I like the skinny sea on the polaris but the can-am dont feel bad eathier, and ever body tells me "I did not buy this bike for mpg" ya so what if theres a bike with better mpg and is faster how can you bitch haha :p

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you want power things are gonna break, my rubicon had 30,000+ on it with just basic maintenance. It was a great machine, owned it from new. This is my first Polaris quad, my rzr treated me well so far with 4300km, but I only get to ride a few months of the year so polaris can take ten months to fix it when it breaks! Haha

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I undersand that they will not be as good as a honda 500 with no power but they should go 1000 miles with out a big problem when rode kinda hard. All I know is im gonna see wha happens if can-am gives me problems I will proble strip it down and build one badass little cart kinda like the rzr mixed with a honda odissy then do some motor work and have a badass small wheeler XD

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Both are good machines, with strengths and weaknesses (like all quads). Neither polaris, nor CanAm are going to be the more reliable...lets face it..power and technology comes at a price...it is what it is. The xp has a great ride and has a lot of power. The Can Am has a fantastic engine (the rotax is the bomb), but suffers from several different "issues..be it frame, dps, etc. If I was buying today, it would be canam 1000xt without a doubt...there is no getting over the power the rotax has (25 mph power wheelies?!?!). But they are pigs...grossly overweight imo......if I was a casual trail rider (ie NOT aggressive gncc type trail riding) the xp850 would be at the top of my list...for work and moderate play, the xp850 almost cant be beat (for the money) imo.

As far as the king quad being the most sporty...not even close...go strap on a 12-13 Brute and there is your sporty. The downside is the Brute is...well, a Brute...stock ride quality sucks, they require more maintenance than others....but for "sportiness"...its not even close. The King is a fantastic quad though..dependable and does everything pretty good (much like a grizzly)...but for fun factor, it dont have it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Both are good machines, with strengths and weaknesses (like all quads). Neither polaris, nor CanAm are going to be the more reliable...lets face it..power and technology comes at a price...it is what it is. The xp has a great ride and has a lot of power. The Can Am has a fantastic engine (the rotax is the bomb), but suffers from several different "issues..be it frame, dps, etc. If I was buying today, it would be canam 1000xt without a doubt...there is no getting over the power the rotax has (25 mph power wheelies?!?!). But they are pigs...grossly overweight imo......if I was a casual trail rider (ie NOT aggressive gncc type trail riding) the xp850 would be at the top of my list...for work and moderate play, the xp850 almost cant be beat (for the money) imo.

As far as the king quad being the most sporty...not even close...go strap on a 12-13 Brute and there is your sporty. The downside is the Brute is...well, a Brute...stock ride quality sucks, they require more maintenance than others....but for "sportiness"...its not even close. The King is a fantastic quad though..dependable and does everything pretty good (much like a grizzly)...but for fun factor, it dont have it.
can-am problems I found
frame crack, fixed frame brace plus free 7 year warntty
dps, upgraded with new software and seems to work good now
tie rods, still junk 150 bucks for aftermarket
brake pads- just after market ones
o an the outty bumper caps haha.
also going to need /// clutch and stm secondary

I am going to take the shot dealer let me drive there demo 1K vs the ho and just wow!!!! that outty is fast. Not saying the 850 is not fast but its not the outty fast.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

can-am problems I found

I am going to take the shot dealer let me drive there demo 1K vs the ho and just wow!!!! that outty is fast. Not saying the 850 is not fast but its not the outty fast.
agreed on all the above...that is what I meant by "issues". Canam has the most tech, but it seems they overlook simple things...brake pads, rods, the dreaded bumper caps (c'mon...bumper caps..really?). But that rotax engine is fantastic and they look good too. Like it or not, the canam has the "it" factor that others just dont have.....but there is something to be said for just producing a quality machine with no issues....

·
Registered
205 Posts

can-am problems I found

Trust me.. Can am is not giving to stand behind the 7year warranty Ive never seen them even stand behind them longer then a year,,, and the its can am ... not the dealers that are the issue.... can am will not stand behind their product when its run in the swamp

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

can-am problems I found

Trust me.. Can am is not giving to stand behind the 7year warranty Ive never seen them even stand behind them longer then a year,,, and the its can am ... not the dealers that are the issue.... can am will not stand behind their product when its run in the swamp
well polaris hardly dues too, but hey its fine. If fine if they dont cover the framr becuase I will beff it up, but they seem to be standing by it for most and theres lots of people who dont even have the problem.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Yeah in my experience can am has not been very durable and insane price to purchase and dealer repairs are over priced as well... its all personal preference... the canned hams sure got some balls though.. i cant stand visco lock either

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yeah in my experience can am has not been very durable and insane price to purchase and dealer repairs are over priced as well... its all personal preference... the canned hams sure got some balls though.. i cant stand visco lock either
trust me I never liked the G1s at all tell 2011 (frame update) but they seem to be good bikes for most but just gonna see what happens. My 850s never proven to good so ya.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts

can-am problems I found

I have a 2012 Outlander 1000XT. 1500 miles. I drive it but don't beat the crap out of it.
* came without the brace when new, brace now installed, no cracks.
* never had an issue with DPS, usually run in MIN.
* stock tie rods, non bent yet
* still on stock brake pads, still lots left
* tie wrapped bumper end caps, never lost one yet, stupid design.

There are 3 of us in our group with 2012 1000s. Never had one of the problems YET. The other guys run theirs much harder than I do.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I have a 2012 Outlander 1000XT. 1500 miles. I drive it but don't beat the crap out of it.

There are 3 of us in our group with 2012 1000s. Never had one of the problems YET. The other guys run theirs much harder than I do.
All the Outy's in our group run the DPS in Min also...I have yet to see anyone use something other then Min...when I drove them, the Min seems plenty boosted to me...I suppose if someone was rock crawling or doing slow technical riding Medium or Max would be a good setting? And for the record, the Outy's in our group have not had any issues yet...aside from brake pads squealing like a stuck pig (G1 650) and going out in 20 hours. They never overheat either

·
Registered
483 Posts

1500 miles with no issues is a good run taking in account mud rocks water sand ? I think any atv made today will have some small issues . Now they all have lemons this is my first sportsman xp model and all I can say is I love it so far . My ranger eats Cv joints and belts but it has a 2 in lift and 30in swamp lites I have not had this problem with my sportsman xp . Now my friends outlander XT has the frame issues but the motor is a beast and he has had the support installed and welded a cut peice of steal pipe over the Other crack all seems ok now . I do however like the ergos and ride of my xp but I also hate driving my wife's car to so maby I'm just use to it . Bottom line ride then buy !

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

can-am problems I found

sounds good to me, I am exspecting problems with the bike but nothing like what ive had with my 850s theses are for all the 850s ive had
3 broken front a-arms(weld broke
1broken back arm
3 belts
oil in air box 4 time (i did the upgrade first on to do it on this forum)
all of them have broke a frame (all same spot)
1 motor (rod went into the case)
3 starting motors
5 axles (I got like 6 exstra now)
floor board braket 8 of them
3 front diffs
2 eps motors
4 tie rods (upgraded to some HL ones)
1 fan
1 bearing carryer (snaped)

I dont know maybe both my 850s are lemons I just dont know, one has just under 2000 miles in 2 years (11 months in shop) the other one has 1700 and coming up to 2 years (9 months in shop) and my dads really tired of them and always wanted a can-am, now he has the money and the chance so both are proble going to be gone.

149593_452851261431032_476381127_n.jpg mine
598807_475113075871517_163440163_n.jpg my dads

I always got told my bike looks way too clean for a 15 year old, I dont think they understand I baster me A$$ of to buy it and yes I do all mantnice early easy I scrub it down after every ride but thats why even the motor still looks new. These bikes dont look beat at all, this is a beat bike 62765_472970102752481_2024142391_n.jpg
now thats a bike I kick the shit out of, I never bother when it brakes down becuase its rode hard.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts

1500 miles with no issues is a good run taking in account mud rocks water sand ? I think any atv made today will have some small issues . Now they all have lemons this is my first sportsman xp model and all I can say is I love it so far . My ranger eats Cv joints and belts but it has a 2 in lift and 30in swamp lites I have not had this problem with my sportsman xp . Now my friends outlander XT has the frame issues but the motor is a beast and he has had the support installed and welded a cut peice of steal pipe over the Other crack all seems ok now . I do however like the ergos and ride of my xp but I also hate driving my wife's car to so maby I'm just use to it . Bottom line ride then buy !
I have had some issues, just not the ones 800Touring mentioned.
I had a few issues in the first 500 miles all taken care of under warranty. I paid alot of money for this bike and they are gonna fix every little problem I have. I'm pretty particular with my stuff and nobody drives it but me. I don't lend it or allow test drives.
#1 key switch went bad. replaced
#2 water pump seal was leaking a few drops every drive. dealer said it was normal and alot of 1000s do it but I got it fixed and doesn't leak anymore.
#3 gearbox seal was weeping. changed seal.
Minor problems. Dealer was awsome and fixed them all. I was kind of regretting buying it when all these little problems kept happening on my new bike but the last 1000 miles has been great.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
friend of mine has the 800 gade in g1 chassis, and that's why I chose the Polaris. I didn't want the head ache he has. machine spends more time being worked on than ridden. if I didn't care how hard it was to earn the 10 grand or so to purchase one I would have considered the can am, the machine is an absolute power house, but like the way my scrambler rides more. 800touring you wonder why the frame broke? looks like that wheeler spent half the ride off the ground. this is a 800 pound utility quad, not a 400 pound sport. ride a can am or any other 800 pound machine like that long enough and it will break. want reliability buy a Honda or Yamaha. but if you want power and a good ride your going to have to pay to play. ill tell ya what thow, the day Yamaha comes out with a 800 or bigger twin, the Polaris will be getting traded in.

41 - 60 of 179 Posts