Polaris ATV Forum banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I will say its not made out of the best steel but its not to bad. Part is welded not bolted

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
the vast majority is welded. It's just the two sections. THe one support opposite of when your's keep breaking, and the upper support on the top rail in front of the support where your's keep breaking. but those are both in very critical areas as far as a frame is conserned. The upper one being the more critical of the two. the frame is essentially designed as a truss. the upper and lower longitudinal (lenthwise) bars are attached via supports (vertical) and cross members (horizontal) to each other. if any one part of the truss is weak, or fails, the whole frame is effected. IMHO I think it's poorly designed, and would never have done it were I the one designing the bike. Not to say it's any worse or better than the Can Am frames. Just saying it's a design flaw and I wouldn't have done it that way. and when I get my 550, I'll be fabing up a new support made out of the same material as the rest of the frame in an effort to reduce if not eliminate the flex in the frame which is inturn causing the crack.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the crack orriginates from the bottom of the frame, correct? If that is the case the frame is flexing at the bolt on support member and the stress riser caused by the brace on the the vertical support is whats causing the crack.

It's never cracked on the left side, where the upper frame rail is solid, and the vertical support is a bolt on.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts

I went back and looked at the frames for the 850/550 and the 800/500 and the 800 touring.

The XP models (850/550) all have the removable frame sections. The rest do not. That removable support is the root cause of the cracking. and thus the reason your 800touring hasn't but your 850 has multiple times. (in combination with your riding style)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts

I went back and looked at the frames for the 850/550 and the 800/500 and the 800 touring.

The XP models (850/550) all have the removable frame sections. The rest do not. That removable support is the root cause of the cracking. and thus the reason your 800touring hasn't but your 850 has multiple times. (in combination with your riding style)
The left side has a brake away bar but the right is solid and welded, the brake away bar on the 850 on the right side is on the top. I have broke a 800 frame but that bike has been beat to death XD

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
well I'll tell you one thing. This thread and the research I've done has turned me off of the XP's Probably just going to go with the regular 500 with it's solid frame.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
well I'll tell you one thing. This thread and the research I've done has turned me off of the XP's Probably just going to go with the regular 500 with it's solid frame.
Ill tell you the 500seem to be a tank there badass bikes. I do wish they still offered efi but the crabs work great. Another bike to look into is the KQs, people on here might not like me saying that but there a good damn bike just built like a tank.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Agreed
With the KQ you will know its a tank, Suspension is rock hard
They actully dont ride that bad but thats from a 15 year old I kinda like the stiffer sporty ride of the KQ

·
Registered
199 Posts
Sounds like you just had bad luck with them iv been racing Suzuki the last few years and I beat the heck out of them they were awesome quads to me to bad they don't make a twin

·
Registered
716 Posts
The new KQ design put into service in 2009 with power steering is excellent. With the 2013 models we are on the 5th year of the same design so all the bugs are out...but there were not many, even from the start. In both the 500 and 750 you have a very stable platform with no quirky bugs. Stop by the KQ forum...no frame issues, no PS issues, no motor issues, no oil in the air filter...rather than looking at what an ATV has for features, you might do as I did and start looking at what a particular ATV doesn't have for issues!

When it came time to buy a new quad for the wife last fall (she rides hard and loves to jump) I went with a KQ500 with PS and put elka stage 1s on it. Now she has the plush ride of an XP with reliability and lack of issues. The longer we have it, the more we like it. The engine braking it fantastic without the ADC issues. It does not "grab" hard and try to throw you over the handle bars going down a steep incline. It works on all 4 wheels, not some combination with 4 different parameters that must be met before it activates. The fuel economy is incredible...in 2 wheel drive riding nice you are in the mid to high 20's, fully 2x the range of myy 850 xp EPS...you never have to wonder if the front axle is locked in or not...you decide. The shifter is so much better than the XPs...not even a contest. Separate brakes controls for front and rear...with a sealed drum for the rear. Lighter weight, more maneuverable...and flat out the smoothest single cylinder motor you can get on an ATV. Transmission engages at lower revs and is geared higher so you almost never "race" the motor. It is quiet...you can pull over and have a conversation with helmets on without shutting it off.

I could go on, but this recent review of the 2013 750 kq is worth watching:

2012 Polaris Ranger RZR 570 test review. ATV Television. ATV. UTV. SxS. Tests Videos and Information. Latest News. Product Reviews. Ultimate Adventures

Bottom line...I have a 2010 850 XP EPS. I have been one of the lucky ones, no real issues other than horrible gas mileage no matter how I ride making me the guy always begging for gas on group rides and slowing everyone down looking for fuel. My range is 50 miles. With an average trail speed of 15 mph where we ride, the 850 ccs are rarely used, but every ride I lament fuel. I would have went with a 550, but all the valve issues and a test ride of that rattling, shaking motor ruled it out. I have replaced every bushing on it with new ones made by a member on this forum. It will be interesting to see how they last.

My extended warranty runs out in Aug and I will be selling the XP at that time. I will have over 2000 miles on it by now and don't want to press my luck with something major going out. My next atv will definately be a 750 or 500 kq with elka stage 1s, a quality air filter and bighorn tlres.

I understand those who have the $$ to chase the big bore, big size, high performance machines and say more power to them. :) For me it has become more important to have something that gets the job done with a minimum of issues and peace of mind.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Great thanks for the review
Do the King quads not have a wet clutch?
Wet clutch deletes are around 1500-2000 from airdam or speedworx..
I personally will always stick with dry clutches as they produce more un-laggy power

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Great thanks for the review
Do the King quads not have a wet clutch?
Wet clutch deletes are around 1500-2000 from airdam or speedworx..
I personally will always stick with dry clutches as they produce more un-laggy power
Put a vdi on a kingquad and the power lag is gone (500 bucks) but it also gets rid of limiters and 30% more power, also do coop mod 2 and 3 or just 3 they mod your clutch and it will give you another 30% lower gear but lose no top end actully gain top end. I do like wet clutchs better never had to change a belt on one yet.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The new KQ design put into service in 2009 with power steering is excellent. With the 2013 models we are on the 5th year of the same design so all the bugs are out...but there were not many, even from the start. In both the 500 and 750 you have a very stable platform with no quirky bugs. Stop by the KQ forum...no frame issues, no PS issues, no motor issues, no oil in the air filter...rather than looking at what an ATV has for features, you might do as I did and start looking at what a particular ATV doesn't have for issues!

When it came time to buy a new quad for the wife last fall (she rides hard and loves to jump) I went with a KQ500 with PS and put elka stage 1s on it. Now she has the plush ride of an XP with reliability and lack of issues. The longer we have it, the more we like it. The engine braking it fantastic without the ADC issues. It does not "grab" hard and try to throw you over the handle bars going down a steep incline. It works on all 4 wheels, not some combination with 4 different parameters that must be met before it activates. The fuel economy is incredible...in 2 wheel drive riding nice you are in the mid to high 20's, fully 2x the range of myy 850 xp EPS...you never have to wonder if the front axle is locked in or not...you decide. The shifter is so much better than the XPs...not even a contest. Separate brakes controls for front and rear...with a sealed drum for the rear. Lighter weight, more maneuverable...and flat out the smoothest single cylinder motor you can get on an ATV. Transmission engages at lower revs and is geared higher so you almost never "race" the motor. It is quiet...you can pull over and have a conversation with helmets on without shutting it off.

I could go on, but this recent review of the 2013 750 kq is worth watching:

2012 Polaris Ranger RZR 570 test review. ATV Television. ATV. UTV. SxS. Tests Videos and Information. Latest News. Product Reviews. Ultimate Adventures

Bottom line...I have a 2010 850 XP EPS. I have been one of the lucky ones, no real issues other than horrible gas mileage no matter how I ride making me the guy always begging for gas on group rides and slowing everyone down looking for fuel. My range is 50 miles. With an average trail speed of 15 mph where we ride, the 850 ccs are rarely used, but every ride I lament fuel. I would have went with a 550, but all the valve issues and a test ride of that rattling, shaking motor ruled it out. I have replaced every bushing on it with new ones made by a member on this forum. It will be interesting to see how they last.

My extended warranty runs out in Aug and I will be selling the XP at that time. I will have over 2000 miles on it by now and don't want to press my luck with something major going out. My next atv will definately be a 750 or 500 kq with elka stage 1s, a quality air filter and bighorn tlres.

I understand those who have the $$ to chase the big bore, big size, high performance machines and say more power to them. :) For me it has become more important to have something that gets the job done with a minimum of issues and peace of mind.
king quad might not be a drag monster but they can be rode hard and run the next day :p

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The king is a damn nice quad. It does everything pretty good and is reliable. It just has no excitement factor for me....much like a grizzly...good thing about the wet clutches is u never have to worry about idling in gear or burning up a belt like a Polaris, can am, or brute. But neither the king nor the grizzly have that balls out power of the others. Good quads for sure though

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have a 850 Polaris and a 1000 max Can Am and have seen a lot of Wet clutch wonders in the deep snow . They work alright if you want to be last. If you want to go first its Can Am all the way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I read through this whole thing because I was bored. I ride an 800 and my friend rides an 850... he won't let his get off the ground. I really don't care as long as the landing is soft. I'm tempted to buy a sport quad just to abuse the jumps. I know for a fact that that at near 800lbs neither one is meant for jumps, whoops, or front end impact. Ultimately, I would say frame failure from what I've seen here is repeated front end impact. Physics here is simple... any front end impact forces stress on the frame well beyond rear or level landing. Simply put, if the front end impacts first, the frame has to sustain momentum and impact forces. It really doesn't matter if you are doing 5mph or 50mph... if the front end hits first the force exponentially greater. Vectors show that pretty simply.

I guess the other quad arguments could go on forever. Visco v Polaris, wet v dry, etc. But after reading what breaks frames, broken frames, I had comment.

161 - 179 of 179 Posts