Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick comment on replacing the cable on a Polaris Winch. I replaced my cable on my 2010 850 XP Sportsman this weekend. I made a replacement cable (50' of 3/16") at Lowes using their swagging tool and an aluminum swag and curved cable guide. Removing the old cable was fairly easy on my winch the cable was pushed through and then bent back over and pushed back into the same hole. There was a small disk (similar to a ball bearing except flat on opposite sides) that rode in the middle of the loop. Just drove the old winch line out one side and then pulled it free from the winch being careful not to lose the small disk. Then pushed the new cable into the winch and then looped it back around into the same elongated hole. Pulled the cable until the loop was small enough to hold the disk and then inserted the disk and pulled the cable tight seating the looped cable with disk in the loop in the winch cylinder. Once the cable was pulled tight I just had my wife work the winch control and I held the cable taunt until it was wound tight on the spool. Assume it would work the same with sythetic rope except you may actually want to use a similar size ball bearing instead of the disk. I also removed and greased the fairlead rollers. Works great and was under $20 to replace. If you switch to sythetic either replace the fairlead or sand the rollers smooth so you don't snag the rope on grooves cut by the cable.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Very nice........appreciate the write up!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice........appreciate the write up!
Very Welcome. Aso installed my Ricochet skid plates and a-arm guards. That was a bit of a chore but they look real nice and should protect well. I was especially impressed with the A-arm guards. If I tear a boot now I have accomplished something. LOL

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Have a set of guards on the way, should be here this week

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have a set of guards on the way, should be here this week
Have fun. Took me about 5 or 6 hours working under the ATV. If you can set the ATV on it's ass end for easier access or get a second set of hands it will be easier. The A-Arm guards are a pieces of cake...its the skid plates that were the most challenging. And don't forget to anti-seize the bolts before installation and you will need a 40 Torx and next size down if you ordered the Ricochet

·
Super Moderator
7,035 Posts
If you don't have a second set of hands to help, a floor jack is a good second choice for helping to hold the skid plates in place while you put the clips on. A-arm guards are a piece of cake to install.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't have a second set of hands to help, a floor jack is a good second choice for helping to hold the skid plates in place while you put the clips on. A-arm guards are a piece of cake to install.
Yeah...I used a log as my floor jack was in storage as I just moved a couple of months ago. Great Idea! My brother is loaning me his ATV jack so I can put on my new overfenders with the wheels off...

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Nice write up..... only thing that would make it better is pics!! Or a bag chair and a beer (or few) to watch you do it!! :chairfall:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I didn't get any pics....you supply the beer and I'll replace all the cable you want....lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts