Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an old Alaskan hunter and ATV trail rider. We currently have a 1999 Sportsman 500, a 2013 Razor 570 LE, and a 2011 800 Big Boss 6x6 Sportsman. We rarely go over 20 mph and although I understand the attraction of the big engines I don't see the need for what we do. I want reliability, simplicity, fuel economey and plenty of low end torque for towing trailers and packing loads consisting of moose, caribou, wall tents, cots, stoves, fuel and camp supplies for 2 weeks, etc. So my wish is for Polaris to refine those ProStar engines and transmissions and make a 570 Big Boss 6x6 with good low end torque. Make a light weight 250 to 300 cc 4 wheeler for smaller framed adults, heck, my 9 year old grandson could run one. It just seem as though every one wants a big fast engine. Any way, that is my wish list.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Not everyone wants a big engine for going fast. I average between 7-8 mph when I divide my hours by miles on my 850. The one time I checked this summer I averaged just under 18 mpg. And it is smooth as silk for power delivery. It all depends on the rider.
It does seem like there should be a market for a smaller framed, lighter weight, smaller CC 4x4 atv. That used to be the 400, but now even that is a heavyweight, full size machine. :gruebel:

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'll second the Big Boss 570 :D though I wonder if they did something like that would they still call it Big Boss? or woudl they just add 6x6 behind Sportsman 570?

one thing I wouldn't mind seeing with modurn ATVs is trimming back of the body plastics some. my Magnum just looks tiny compared to my co workers SP 550! though i suppose this compromises utility a bit... i just like being able to actually see my front tires XD

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I am an old Alaskan hunter and ATV trail rider. We currently have a 1999 Sportsman 500, a 2013 Razor 570 LE, and a 2011 800 Big Boss 6x6 Sportsman. We rarely go over 20 mph and although I understand the attraction of the big engines I don't see the need for what we do. I want reliability, simplicity, fuel economey and plenty of low end torque for towing trailers and packing loads consisting of moose, caribou, wall tents, cots, stoves, fuel and camp supplies for 2 weeks, etc. So my wish is for Polaris to refine those ProStar engines and transmissions and make a 570 Big Boss 6x6 with good low end torque. Make a light weight 250 to 300 cc 4 wheeler for smaller framed adults, heck, my 9 year old grandson could run one. It just seem as though every one wants a big fast engine. Any way, that is my wish list.
Leave one for someone else! All those toys and you still have a wish list?
The audacity of some people...:yahootongue:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sir, I am with you 110%. The faster a person drives the less he can see. Tunnel vision.I hardly ride over 25 mph. I enjoy watching nature ext.The dealers nowadays promote fast machines.Like you I require reliability, smooth ride, and easy maintenance.My Sportsman 400 does all of these.It is capable of towing 1500 lbs.I am with you on this post, Ken

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I am surprised they even have the big boss anymore. They already make a 570 with a box. Its a ranger.

Not sure about down south, but none of my local dealers even stock them.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I would think a Sportsman 500 in "Low Range" would get you all the "low end grunt" you would need. Or couldn't a clutch kit get you what you are looking for out of a 500?

If not there is always the option of a Honda Rancher ES 350 4x4..... smaller framed bike, fulltime 4x4, electric shift and all the low end granny geared grunt anyone could ever want in first gear and a track record of reliable performance. But you'll sacrafice ride comfort with the solid rear axle vs. a cushy Sportsman with independent rear suspension.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I would think a Sportsman 500 in "Low Range" would get you all the "low end grunt" you would need. Or couldn't a clutch kit get you what you are looking for out of a 500?

If not there is always the option of a Honda Rancher ES 350 4x4..... smaller framed bike, fulltime 4x4, electric shift and all the low end granny geared grunt anyone could ever want in first gear and a track record of reliable performance. But you'll sacrafice ride comfort with the solid rear axle vs. a cushy Sportsman with independent rear suspension.
And the honda's are only 3 wheel drive, due to not having a front locker.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
We rarely go over 20 mph and although I understand the attraction of the big engines I don't see the need for what we do. I want reliability, simplicity, fuel economey and plenty of low end torque for towing trailers and packing loads consisting of moose, caribou, wall tents, cots, stoves, fuel and camp supplies for 2 weeks, etc.
I hear you on speed. My riding is mainly 20MPH and below as well. Maybe I don't need a new big bore after all?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
We rarely go over 20 mph and although I understand the attraction of the big engines I don't see the need for what we do. I want reliability, simplicity, fuel economey and plenty of low end torque for towing trailers and packing loads consisting of moose, caribou, wall tents, cots, stoves, fuel and camp supplies for 2 weeks, etc.
I hear you on speed. My riding is mainly 20MPH and below as well. Maybe I don't need a new big bore after all?
A 400HO/500HO/570 will fit the bill nicely.

Have hit 55MPH On mine with no issues.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I am surprised they even have the big boss anymore. They already make a 570 with a box. Its a ranger.

Not sure about down south, but none of my local dealers even stock them.
having both I can say there are things the 6x6 does better then the Ranger :D and things the ranger does better then the 6x6.

I kept my 6x6 as a backup and summer vehicle. the ranger gets hot in the summer, it's easier to mount and dismount the ATV for tasks that require doing so "like picking rocks/trash" and overall smaller size makes it nicer to work in woody areas.

if Polaris did have a Big Boss 570 I would be interested when the time came. it would get better fuel economy over the 800 big boss. and I feel my 6x6 with the 425 has plenty of power as is :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts