Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want one!! Too bad there $15,000

TerrainArmor™ Avalanche Gray
•Never get a flat with revolutionary TerrainArmor™ non-pneumatic tires!
•Built to work with upgraded shock package and 600-lbs. steel racks capacity
•Longer, less fatiguing work days with Electronic Power Steering and unmatched 11.75 gal. fuel capacity

Whether you're outfitting your local militia, or you just need the kind of vehicle that will stand up to some serious punishment, you need the Polaris Sportsman WV850 H.O. ATV ($15,000). Built to military specifications, this ATV features industry first non-pneumatic tires that can't get flats, won't tear, rip, or otherwise puncture — they can actually stand up to a .50-calibre round and still ride for up to 350 miles. It also comes with a single-speed transmission, steel exoskeleton, steel racks, huge towing and hauling capacity, 77 horsepower, and all-wheel drive.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Anybody got a link to video of what those airless tires do in deep sticky mud? And the aftermath?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd imagine mud filling all those holes in the side wall weighting them down. But the look appealing for rock crawlers and not ever getting a flat

·
Registered
294 Posts
No thanks.

I just can't see too many people that would need or want one of those for that price tag, given the still limited capabilities of an ATV configuration.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Seems like it would sink like a rock in the mud. Little too heavy

·
Registered
96 Posts
Either mud or bees would build a home in those open cells. I don't think I would ever have a need for one but I sure would like to ride one.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
pretty sure the production run is small.. I don't think they expect to sell a ton of them.. If its truly meant to appeal to the extreme work condition crowd vs the leisure crowd I don't know what industry they might appeal to?.. There must be some R&D out there that says they have a place.. I figure its mostly gonna be for the "gotta have" crowd that will love to have a unique piece like this monster..

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I could see these on worksites such as quarries and mining operations. I'm sure they will sell some. Most, if not all will be for work / fleet purposes.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
No private company would spend that.

And for the price, for work purposes the ranger would be better.

The wv850 is a swing and a miss imo.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
you'd be amazed at what I've seen my company buy and what they will pay for it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
That just means that you would ride farther in before running out of gas. LOL

·
Registered
103 Posts
Opps, deleted my post. I had written I would love to retro the gas tank and while editing, I deleted. But yeah, would love the big fuel. Never needed my spare to date, but love knowing its there...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
A little mud in those tires and they would be so far out of balance it would throw you off your ride

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I could see these on worksites such as quarries and mining operations. I'm sure they will sell some. Most, if not all will be for work / fleet purposes.
I'm guessing this is the intended purpose of these. Would like to know top speed. I'm guessing they're geared very low with no high low range.

·
Registered
479 Posts

If a police department spent 16K on a Can-Am XMR I believe any other place will spend a thousand less on a quad with bulletproof tires.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

If a police department spent 16K on a Can-Am XMR I believe any other place will spend a thousand less on a quad with bulletproof tires.

I could only approve of that if it was Sillous Robertsons ATV. Hell at least he would actually make proper use of it. I bet that dumb a$$ cop dont even know what it is. Or even know how to use it. Cop "I can smell the weed on my radiator" Yep your a pot head, lol!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
The city is using the quads in the downtown area to catch drug dealers and near the border bridge to nab illegals. Most of the cops I train are not ATV enthusiasts but very few know what they have. They recently got one 1000XT-P and one 85XP H.O. and they are in the process of installing police equipment i.e. lights and siren.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts