Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you installed them and if so, how are they holding up?

I have 5.5 hours on my machine and the factory installed bulbs have a grand total of less than 3 minutes burn time on them. I flipped on the lights for a quick spin at dusk last night and the left low beam bulb blew. :wtf:

At $10-$15 a pop to replace, you would think it would last a little longer than that.

At any rate, I've got to get a new bulb and figured I might as well upgrade both since buying bulbs in pairs is a better deal than buying individually.

I like the look of HID's but I don't do enough night riding to justify the expense and I'm not totally sold on their reliability on an ATV application. I figured I would give the Xenon upgrades a whirl if they don't burn out too quickly.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I installed silver stars in mine when one blew. The bayonet is straight and stock is bent. (Or visa Versa) other than that they fit as factory. They are nice and brite. Best of all I got them on a sale!

Just another option for you to ponder. ;)

CW

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually looked first for an 886 Silver Star but they don't make one. Which model did you use?

I run them in my truck and they've been great bulbs.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
went HID and was done with it. Have had one bad bulb that was replaced by Thor here on the site. LED are very good too but expensive.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I actually looked first for an 886 Silver Star but they don't make one. Which model did you use?

I do not remember the number.... But the packages where clear and I was able to tell simply by looking at what was in there and the new ones. The wire was a little snug but it fine.

CW

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only Silverstars that I can find with a plug that will work are only 37.5 watt. Probably makes them about equivalent to a standard 50w 886 bulb, albeit whiter light.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've been running the xenon bulbs for about 10 months now. They are a whiter and a little brighter than the stockers. No burn outs yet.
I put kolpin 3 inch dually LED's on the brush bumper and they are so bright that you don't even know you have the regular lights on. The best thing is they use very minimal power from the electrical system, unlike the HID's. $180 on AMAZON. You can run the xenons in all three lights , they are about $25 a set.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I recently put xenon in my ATV. In this pic, one is xenon, other is original. Can you tell the difference?

Sean

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I've been running the xenon bulbs for about 10 months now. They are a whiter and a little brighter than the stockers. No burn outs yet.
I put kolpin 3 inch dually LED's on the brush bumper and they are so bright that you don't even know you have the regular lights on. The best thing is they use very minimal power from the electrical system, unlike the HID's. $180 on AMAZON. You can run the xenons in all three lights , they are about $25 a set.

I have one of thors HID kits, it does all 3 lights, was around 120$ I think. Love mine, the light is so crisp.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

I do not remember the number.... But the packages where clear and I was able to tell simply by looking at what was in there and the new ones. The wire was a little snug but it fine.

CW
X2 on the part# needed.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the Polaris Xenons in the lower lights on my XP and the are noticeably brighter than the stockers. They have held up for more than a year now. The top light still has the factory bulb and you can definitely see the difference between that one and the Xenon.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the Polaris Xenons in the lower lights on my XP and the are noticeably brighter than the stockers. They have held up for more than a year now. The top light still has the factory bulb and you can definitely see the difference between that one and the Xenon.
Thanks. I just ordered a set of them.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Right side of bike, left side of picture?
Other way around. Xenon seems whiter/brighter near the quad, but does not seem to go as far to me.

Sean

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Someone mentioned Rigid LED's. Great lights if you need even more light output. Check out a small internet retailer named Custom Fitz. More lumens with a lot cheaper price tag. He's gained quite the reputation for his lights, prices and customer service in the bowfishing arena and those guys beat the heck out of their equipment.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
No idea how long HIDs would generally last on a quad. My first car with HIDs was a 2002 Maxima which I still have. I leave them on all the time and they have generally lasted about 5 years before going out. You want to replace in pairs as they age and go out or they will look different with the new bulb.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Someone mentioned Rigid LED's. Great lights if you need even more light output. Check out a small internet retailer named Custom Fitz. More lumens with a lot cheaper price tag. He's gained quite the reputation for his lights, prices and customer service in the bowfishing arena and those guys beat the heck out of their equipment.
Thanks for the tip.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I installed the Xenon Polaris bulbs this weekend. Huge improvement over the stock bulbs. Substantially brighter viewed side by side at night.

Now... does anyone have a single spare bulb laying around that they would like to part with? LOL
They only come in pairs and I need a single for my high beam. May as well not even turn it on with the other two. You can't even tell it's on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts