Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you go over the full history of Polaris what would you say has been there best ATV model ever produced? Based on quality, comfort, diverse usage, fun.

I don't have any past Polaris knowledge, so just curious.

If I was to answer for Honda, I would say the 400ex probably. It was super reliable, simple design, capable in lots of terrains, and could be ridden by a wide range of skill levels and ages safely.

For Yamaha I would say the Raptor 700. Its sales should speak volumes. Might be a bit too much power for the novice though. Again reliable, multi terrain capable and super fun.

Polaris seems to have been much more utilitarian dedicated. Not a bad thing just different. I'm loving my 850 Touring. I have ridden it in an aggressive sporty way and not been disappointed. It has also done very well in technical stuff. Anyone but the complete novice could ride it safely. Very comfortable! The reliability is yet to be determined.

So, those who know Polaris... what's the best all around ever?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The Sportsman 500 HO. Best selling model for MANY years. Others have come and gone but the 500 stood the test of time.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The Sportsman 500 HO. Best selling model for MANY years. Others have come and gone but the 500 stood the test of time.

I second this. If I only had one option to purchase an atv for the rest of my life I would buy a 2013 500ho.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I don't know if the numbers still stand. But Polaris used to advertise that the 500 series was the best selling ATV of any manufacturer. Another model might have overtaken it by now....but that would surprise me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Im going old school on you my dad purchased a 1988 Polaris trailboss 250 4x4 brand new. Everything was Honda 300 or Yamaha big bear 350. This had on demand 4x4 long travel suspension. It was the machine that started it all really. Dirtwheels hated it at the time bitching about the belt drive and 2 stroke motor. It was very different from the competition, but was head over tails a way better machine unstoppable and cutting edge for those times. Id 2nd the Polaris 350l 4x4 had a 92 and 2 93s other than the electrical problems we had with the 4x4 switches they were the first 4x4s that were really fast and powerful.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Im going old school on you my dad purchased a 1988 Polaris trailboss 250 4x4 brand new. Everything was Honda 300 or Yamaha big bear 350. This had on demand 4x4 long travel suspension. It was the machine that started it all really. Dirtwheels hated it at the time bitching about the belt drive and 2 stroke motor. It was very different from the competition, but was head over tails a way better machine unstoppable and cutting edge for those times. Id 2nd the Polaris 350l 4x4 had a 92 and 2 93s other than the electrical problems we had with the 4x4 switches they were the first 4x4s that were really fast and powerful.
Yep....good machines for that day. I had a '90 250 TB 4x4. Had it for 12 years. But the solid axle rear end isn't even close to the ride of the newer jobs. And for plowing snow I prefer the low end grunt of the 500. The 2-strokes you can't lug like the 500, even in low range. But yeah for their day, those old TBs were a kickass ride. Packed out several deer and elk with that old TB. I was WAY over the rating for those racks.

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Honda is the 300 Fourtrax or the 450. They are beasts that never die!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also had a 1988 Polaris trailboss 250 4x4 brand new, had it for 10yrs, no problems. The only thing I wish was different on it was the AWD, would've been nice to switch off to play in the snow. I used it to mow grass and plow snow and it was very reliable.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Something I would like to see come back is the midsize 400 (455). I have a house full of girls, that fit better on the midsize frames.

Sean

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I will agree with the 500 Sportsman got 6000 miles on mine and still is like new but I am not a mud or water rider

·
Registered
339 Posts
I bought my '06 500 simply based on the fact that everyone I talked to said that polaris were junk, but even those people could not argue that at least the 500 sportsman was pretty bullet proof. I also liked the fact that the 500 (as with most polaris) require a good deal of maintenance, which means its durability is my responsibility. I would argue though that the mid-2000 model sportsman are more reliable then the current ones. I wouldn't trade my '06 for a 2013 500.

On the other manufacturers, i completely agree with the 400ex. Mine was invincible. More of a yfz450 guy for yamaha (the only thing my 450 didn't beat a raptor in was a flat out drag, they couldn't touch me in the woods).

And I hate to say this on a polaris site because I am a Polaris guy now, but the most impressive, indistructable, still starts with two pulls after sitting for months, and has run through 3 sets of tires without doing anything but change the oil, is my old 1996 Kawi bayou 220. With all I have put it through, it should be parts by now. If I'm not mistaken, kawi still makes the exact same machine.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The Sportsman 500 is tough to beat. It's best selling of all time for a reason. Polaris had a great thing with their Fuji 500's, both ATV and Snowmobile. Ive had 2 different Polaris Indy 500's, a 1995 I sold with over 11,000 miles and my 1997 SKS I still own with over 9,000 miles. Alot of my friends farm and most have Sportsman 500's, various years that get worked like rented mules and just keep going and going and going.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Sportsman 500 is tough to beat. It's best selling of all time for a reason. Polaris had a great thing with their Fuji 500's, both ATV and Snowmobile. Ive had 2 different Polaris Indy 500's, a 1995 I sold with over 11,000 miles and my 1997 SKS I still own with over 9,000 miles. Alot of my friends farm and most have Sportsman 500's, various years that get worked like rented mules and just keep going and going and going.

I personally have to agree this as I have owned a 96' 500 and I put it through everything. The main thing is to keep up the maintenance on any machine and it should do you well. But for the price, how long it lasts, torque, HP reliability and virtually bullet proof for it's class, the 500 pretty much pays for itself in the long run. Tough to beat! :)

·
Registered
479 Posts
In my opinion the best ATV Polaris has ever made (or pretty much of any brand) is the SP500. Find me one manufacturer who has made a quad and kept it almost mechanically unchanged since it's creation and it remained one of the best selling and best performing ATVs in it's class.

I rest my case

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^ Exactly

·
Registered
132 Posts
My sportsman 500 has over 13,000 miles still runs strong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts