Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some photos from last weeks trip up to Medicine Bow national forest in Wyoming. Did about 160 miles of riding.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and more.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
last couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to see you brought the dogs. We would have! Our mutts have a blog The Trail Mutt Reports
The dogs always go when we aren't staying in a campground. Open the door and let them roam. They seem to enjoy riding as much as we do.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've ridden around that erea in the winter on my snowmobile before. Where abouts is this? Where did you stay?
North of Hwy. 210, just off of road 701.

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bob how many days did you spend there riding this trip.
We were up there for 5 days. We rode about 160 miles in three days of riding.

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bob how many days did you spend there riding this trip.

Bob,

Nice pictures, how did you like the riding? Is it comparable to the Black Hills?
The roads/trails in the Pole Mountain area were very similar to the Black Hills roads/trails we rode. Pretty country, but nothing rough or challenging to ride, if that is what you are looking for. No mountains per say, more like rolling hills. What you see in my pictures is what you get. I would go back as a nice, long weekend getaway, but not as a riding destination. I think the area west and south of Laramie might offer better riding since those are actual mountains.

·
Registered
206 Posts

Bob,

Nice pictures, how did you like the riding? Is it comparable to the Black Hills?
The roads/trails in the Pole Mountain area were very similar to the Black Hills roads/trails we rode. Pretty country, but nothing rough or challenging to ride, if that is what you are looking for. No mountains per say, more like rolling hills. What you see in my pictures is what you get. I would go back as a nice, long weekend getaway, but not as a riding destination. I think the area west and south of Laramie might offer better riding since those are actual mountains.

Bob as you know here in CO we have the best riding; bar none. And you do not have to do mudding to have fun.
Then for a change and early riding we can go to UT and have the same fun. All up and down the western half of the state. What we like best about UT you do not have the TREE HUGGERS that we have to contend with here in CO. For the middle of the winter, we can go to Quartzsite AZ and enjoy much the same. Quartzsite has cheap to no cost camping and they accept any off-road permit. See my pic shown under my name. :grin
Last February I spent 2+ weeks in Quartzite and could not start to cover the area. Planning to go back this winter and join the gray panthers.

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would like to get down to Arizona for some winter riding, but for now that "work" thing is preventing it. Looks like I won't even make it out to Moab this year. :sad

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would like to get down to Arizona for some winter riding, but for now that "work" thing is preventing it. Looks like I won't even make it out to Moab this year. :sad

Yes, it is a far peace to travel for anything less than a couple of weeks since they to nothing but great riding within 500 miles of Denver.

Quartzsite is for us old gray panters who want to get in a little riding in the winter and still have similar riding to CO.

Some go there like me for 2 or 3 weeks and others go for the WHOLE winter. $180 (8 months) for a campsite on BLM property and have water and dump station close by. I paid $40 for the 2-week stay. They allow any state off-road permit; even Canada.

A few pic of my 2018 trip: https://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/members/144175-albums3755.html

·
Super Moderator
6,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL, I can see why it is so cheap to stay there. However, having water and a dump station nearby would be nice. I would have to plan a day or two at Gunsite Academy up in Paulden. :grin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts