Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all, I have a 2004 sportsman 600. I broke the throttle cable on it and recently replaced it. Now the quad does not want to idle properly. I have tried adjusting the throttle cable with the adjustment piece on the handle bars and still have no luck. I can get the machine to run with the choke out, but it has a very high idle (1500 rpm, or higher). If I push the choke all of the way in, the machine just dies, does this sound like a carb issue or an improperly adjusted throttle cable. thanks in advance..

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Throttle cable adjustment.

Sean

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I agree, I still think its that cable...

CW

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
How long did it sit while waiting to be fixed? If it was a while, maybe the carb gummed up. You can run some seafoam through it (easy route) or clean the carb. Not hard to do and will rule it out as a problem.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It only sat a couple of weeks without the cable, problem is though, the last day I had it out we were riding pretty hard, goin thru all kinds of terrain, mostly grassy seedy stuff out in the praries, by the end of the trip the quad would not stay running. Everytime I would come to a stop the machine would die. I was looking it over the next day and noticed the throttle cable was broke (right in the middle, and only the outside coating), not sure how long it had been like that. I got the carb off of it, gonna take it to a guy tomorrow to have it cleaned. Any tips on adjusting that cable.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Check your air filter housing to see if its full of grass and seeds.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Well that makes more sense then...that it was acting up before the cable change. Let us know how you make out with the carb.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah,it was acting up before the cable change, I just thought it was the broken cable that was giving me the troubles. The carb is in the shop as we
"speak". I will let you know how i make out.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Yeah,it was acting up before the cable change, I just thought it was the broken cable that was giving me the troubles. The carb is in the shop as we
"speak". I will let you know how i make out.
This would have been good to know... Lets see what the carb clean rebuild does...

CW

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, just got the carb back today, still wont run without having the choke on part way. As soon as I push in the choke it dies.....also had fuel coming out of carb and back into the air box, any suggestions??

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
to answer my own problems, I found a crack in the piece of plastic between the carb and the head. I would assume this is causing too much air, which is why when I choke it, it will run. I will order the piece and try it and will let you all know.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
to answer my own problems, I found a crack in the piece of plastic between the carb and the head. I would assume this is causing too much air, which is why when I choke it, it will run. I will order the piece and try it and will let you all know.
Yep, this cracking of the boot is an issue with some of the older models. A new one should indeed fix your problem. Let us know :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts