Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have not been on in a while but love this site for all the info! I was just wondering about EFI vs carbureted wheelers. I have a 2013 sportsman 500 that is carbureted and now when I start it cold it is very hard to keep running. I will be honest and say that I have been running 87 octane in it for it's whole life. I would assume that the carb is gummed up now and that I need to un clog it. Is there anything I can do to clean out the carb and make the wheeler run better with out taking it all apart?? It still runs ok once warmed up but it's really hard to keep it running for the first few min of first start up..

·
Registered
434 Posts
run seafoam through the carb almost sounds like your choke isnt working doesit make a difference starting it with or without carb

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the choke is working but it just seems like if I don't keep my thumb on the throttle a little bit it just dies. I will try the seafoam. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
gas treatment alternatives

seafoam is very good. startron is less expensive especially for automotive sized tanks and works very well, got rid of cold hesitation on my '01 4runner with 250K, purrs like a kitten. I run polaris' carbon clean regularly. I'm sure someone makes it for them. when i compare the 'look & feel' of the stuff it seems thicker and with more lubricants than other brands. its about 7-10 bucks at the dealer. its mean to not only clean carbs but engines carbon also. might help prior to a carb tear down...

·
Registered
619 Posts
I used to have the same problem when I first bought mine. I actually realized that I was using too much choke on startup. I've since learned and backed off (I probably only use 1/2 choke at MOST), and I'm having a much better experience. Also, for what it's worth, I've always used 87 in mine and I've never had a problem.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I pull the choke full to start, then once its running push it in until the rpms peak. As it warms up you can push the choke in a bit to maintain peak rpms. If you push the choke in to far while its cold it will probably stall. Might want to take some slack out of the cable and see if it gets any better.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It may help to adjust the idle up a little. Have heard some say in the winter they just up the idle to help. Just have to watch for the creeping in gear problems. As far as running 87, mine has only seen 2 tanks with anything above 87. Put 90 in last summer...found some without corn in it, just had to try it out. I do run seafoam through it sometimes.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Get yourself a bottle of AMSOIL Quick shot if the Seafoam does not work, it is new from AMSOIL and works great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get yourself a bottle of AMSOIL Quick shot if the Seafoam does not work, it is new from AMSOIL and works great.

First off, Thank you all for your suggestions. I have put some miles on the wheeler over Christmas and have gone through 2 and 1/2 tanks of gas over the past 3 weeks or so. Here is what I did and the wheeler is now (thanks to all of your suggestions) running much better.

1. I topped off the tank with 91 octane gas and put the recommended amount of Sea foam mix in the tank. This seemed to help some after running through about half the tank.

2. I had to adjust the idle up a lot!! somehow the adjuster on the throttle cable adjusted it's self down. Vibration??? I had to turn it up over two full turns. That seems like a lot to me but it started to idle when cold a lot better after doing that.
3. On the second fill up I did as suggested and bought a small jug of AMSOIL quick shot and mixed it with the gas.. This also seemed to help tremendously. The quick shot is a little spendy at nearly $10.00 a throw but IMO it was worth it.
So now the wheeler is running just as good if not better than the day I brought it home.. Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Glad to hear the machine is coming around for you. It will probably keep getting better the more it's ran.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Too much choke at idle is actually bad for it. It will gum up carb. Get it started, then choke it down as soon as you can get it to idle properly. They do take a bit to warm up though when its cold so it may take a bit to get it to not bog out with the throttle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts