Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all!
I have an early '04 sportsman 700, low miles (550 or so) and use it mostly for hunting trips, some muddy trail rides, snow plowing, and pulling trailers full of gravel.

I've noticed in the last couple of years that the mileage sucks! I guess I can't ever say I've noticed it staying full very long. But, a weekend at the deer shack with maybe 8-10 miles will just about drain the tank. And that's mostly in high gear in 2 wheel mode, no more than half throttle. I'd bet I get more hours on a tank while plowing in low gear than I do riding like I just mentioned.

I thought I had the problem solved 6 months back when I noticed the plug wires were not snapped on tight. Seems they'd pulled themselves off as they slipped around the edge of the block. Even with them in place (and new plugs), it still sucks the gas. When it runs, it starts right up. A little choke when chilly, but not too long. Idles fine. I don't ever see a puddle of gas under the unit when parked, and I turn off the gas when it's going to sit for more than 30 minutes.

Could it be forced out under pressure through the overflow or other path while riding? I've seen some discussion about the needle valves in the early '04 needing an "upgrade". Perhaps that is the issue? I do always smell a lot of gas fumes, like it's real rich.

My other issue is that the display is flashing on and off. This just started a couple of weeks back. 4x4 turns on and off, lights stay on when I want them to. It runs fine other than the display and all it shows flashes on then off every few seconds. I haven't played around with the diagnostic mode yet, but I will tomorrow when I get some time.

Ideas? Other than a tune up, lube, oil and a new battery this year, I've not done much to it except wash it after the trips through the swamp trails.

BTW, first post. Nice site!

--Craig

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
First off, welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
i had a circuit breaker go bad on my 500 one time and my display would flash on and off every few seconds,but that was with the headlights on also. you'll be looking for them in a black waterproof pouch(but water still gets in there). you should have 2 maybe 3. an easy way to find that you have a bad one is that when your machine starts acting up (display doing goofy things) is to feel the pouches and if it is warm or hot that is the defective one ,you might hear it clicking also. above all else make your battery connections are clean and battery is full of water. hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts