Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Polaris 325 Magnum 4x4.

Recently, while riding, we've had the gear shift pop out of forward (high) and into neutral. The problem seemed to start out small, but has gotten progressively worse. It is now at the point that it will go into gear, but as soon as throttle is applied, it jumps into N.

I've tried adjusting the linkage with no luck, and have no idea what to look at, or to do next.

Any ideas? TIA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More info

Here is some more info from some trial and error I just tried:

Reverse seems to work OK. Low Range forward seems to work OK

If I put it in High Range forward and try to hold it in gear, there is a major grinding sound, almost like 2 gears aren't meshing correctly.

Not exactly how this gearbox works, but could I have a stripped gear that needs replacing, and if so, how hard is that to fix myself? (decent skills but only the basic in tools).

TIA.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Sounds more like the gear shafts are not in alignment...
Doesn't sound good.
From orbit on my Android.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like used gear boxes are running around $300 on fleabay. Not sure if it's not in my interest to just starting looking for a new ride.

Any idea if a 2000 325 Mag 4x4, in need of repair, has any trade in value?

·
Registered
110 Posts
sounds like the gear dogs are worn or a broken shifter fork. I just put a new dog and fork in my xplorer. its a lot of work but not too difficult. only special tools you need is the clutch puller and a second set of hands getting the transmission back together.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yeah, it looks pretty similar to my xplorer except for the shaft output. there's one set for the forward and another set for low and reverse. since its still trying to engage I"d say your fork is ok and its just the dogs but you wont know whats going on till you get in there and look of course.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far, that Engagement Dog looks to run around $90. The fork is No Longer Available on almost every site I've checked (a dozen or so).

Might be cheaper and easier in the long run to shell out the 3 Ben Franklins for a used gear box and replace the whole shooting match, if that is the way I have to go.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got mine used off ebay. had to get the whole shaft with gears and all but it was cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another question: It looks like the Engagement Dog I would need is actually part# 3233533 12 pt Hi/Rev (the other number I posted previously was for "Low").

If my reverse is working OK, would this rule this part out as the problem, as the part seems to affect both Hi and Rev?

·
Registered
110 Posts
#34 for H/R would be it. there's dogs on the top and bottom. one would go up into teeth on the bottom of the gear above it for one way and down into teeth on the top of the gear below it for the other way.
here's a video I watched before I did mine. it'll prob explain things better for you. you might be able to find one for your specific atv if you look

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does anyone know if the gearcase from an 00 500 Magnum will fit and work in an 00 325 Magnum? Seller has it listed as 00 325/500 Magnum, but the part numbers are different.

TIA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 Polaris 325 Magnum 4x4.

Recently, while riding, we've had the gear shift pop out of forward (high) and into neutral. The problem seemed to start out small, but has gotten progressively worse. It is now at the point that it will go into gear, but as soon as throttle is applied, it jumps into N.

I've tried adjusting the linkage with no luck, and have no idea what to look at, or to do next.

Any ideas? TIA.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
7,059 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts