Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 sportsman 500ho I have a superwinch 3500. I haven't yet but from a quick look im screwed for getting at the feont diff to drain or put new fluid in the big screw in front. Anyone have a winch on their sportsman and done the servicing? Will I have room? Though we welded the mount from the winch to the polaris winch mount it is using the proper amd stock mount holes on the quad.

·
Registered
399 Posts
When I did my brothers front diff I had to unbolt the winch and move it to the side.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
You will need to move the winch. Great design on Polaris' part (not). I noticed that when I had my 400 a few years back...

·
Registered
567 Posts
It is only 4 extra bolts to remove and re-install. Only takes an extra 10 minutes to change the fluid.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Draining it won't be a problem, but filing it is a real bitch without taking the winch off. Problem is that they didn't redesign the diff fill when the swapped the rad and winch back in 2011.

A long flexible plastic tube will work to fill it too. I get them from the hospital where I work, but maybe a parts store has some?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 08 Sportsman 500 with Polaris front winch, just did the front diff fluid last week, I used a 18" piece of 3/8" clear poly hose on the end of a 2oz capacity syring and filled it up no problem through side fill plug, 5 full syring fills and done in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Princess Auto and get a funnel with a tube on it. You can premeasure the amount in the funnel and then open it and let it in.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
just did mine last weekend and its very simple even though taking the winch out sucks its not to bad

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Its an extra step, but not a huge deal. I always remove ours. Gives me a chance to to a little inspection and cleaning of the winch

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I had no idea it was such a PIA to change diff fluid with winch on 500. My winch on 700 is high so not affected and wide open on the 550 with new winch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yea I thought it would be a big pain as well but it's only 4 extra bolts. And take of the winch leads not even 10 min. The lack of room to pour the fluid back in is worse than having to pull the winch in my opinion. I got a funnel with a hose on it to make life simple.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yea I thought it would be a big pain as well but it's only 4 extra bolts. And take of the winch leads not even 10 min. The lack of room to pour the fluid back in is worse than having to pull the winch in my opinion. I got a funnel with a hose on it to make life simple.

Good to hear it isn't too big of a deal. IMO: If I had to deal with this on my 550 it wouldn't be an easy issue to deal with. There is lower trim and bolts that hold the brush guard on that would also have to be removed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just have to pull one trim piece witch you have to pull regardless of the winch so I guess it's a total of 8 bolts lol the 4 trim bolts and 4 for the winch

·
Registered
180 Posts
2012 sportsman 500ho I have a superwinch 3500. I haven't yet but from a quick look im screwed for getting at the feont diff to drain or put new fluid in the big screw in front. Anyone have a winch on their sportsman and done the servicing? Will I have room? Though we welded the mount from the winch to the polaris winch mount it is using the proper amd stock mount holes on the quad.
Check out posts from member WilliamBos, he has done this and posted pictures. :veryhappy:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts