Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Does anyone know what the round black piece is called and has anyone heard of them failing ?

Thank You for any input!

·
Registered
417 Posts
It's the ignition coil. You can do a resistance check on its connector pins to check if it's ok.

It's just a thang

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You mscldawg.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It needs to be grounded.
I have been grounding it when I try to start the machine or check for spark. I was just displaying it this way to take the photo.

Thank You for your input polman500

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a new battery, still no spark. At this time I believe it to either be the ignition coil or the solenoid.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Have you got a repair manual? Or a meter to check for voltage at the coil? It's hate to see ya spend hard earned money on a part not needed.. wish I could help more but I'm not familiar with the 500

It's just a thang

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you got a repair manual? Or a meter to check for voltage at the coil? It's hate to see ya spend hard earned money on a part not needed.. wish I could help more but I'm not familiar with the 500

It's just a thang
Thank You for all the help.

Yes , I do have a manual, and a meter. Thank You for suggesting it.

The coil and the solenoid both check out and are good according to the meters we checked them with.

We have checked every electrical connection we can locate.

I have taken all the plastic off the machine except for the dump bed and the cover around the headlight. I will take a look at the pod today.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:banghead:

·
11,613 Posts
First of all...what kind of machine is it?
The solenoid has nothing to do with spark. If it cranks the solenoid is OK. If it don't crank, check the bolts attaching the solenoid as they can rust and prevent grounding.
We need more info to help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
2008 Sportsman 500 E.F.I. x2 Bought it used from a Polaris dealer.

As far as more info, put a new spark plug in, replaced battery( because I was dead set that was the problem), Repair manual arrived.

I have all the plastic off the machine except for the dump bed and the pod witch I removed today and put back on after looking it over. We have checked all the electrical connections we can find, The oil looks like it should, NOT MILKY, black or brown.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The ignition coil is used to provide high voltage to fire the spark plugs. When the ignition key is on, DC voltage is present in primary side of the ignition coil windings. During engine rotation, an AC pulse is created within the crankshaft position sensor for each passing tooth on the flywheel. The two-tooth gap creates an “interrupt” input signal, corresponding to specific crankshaft position. This signal serves as a reference for the control of ignition timing. The ECU then calculates the time interval between the consecutive pulses, and determines when to trigger the voltage spike that induces the voltage from the primary to the secondary coil windings to fire the spark plugs.

Have you checked the crankcase position sensor?

. A resistance value of 860 Ω ± 10% at room temperature (20° C, 68° F) should be obtained.
CPS Connector
Measure resistance at thr right two pins of the CPS sensor.

Good luck bud

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would first like to Thank You mscldawg for the help and information.

As far as updates I will be checking it tomorrow morning with the meter.

I got frustrated and decided it was best to walk away for a day or two after I turned the key too far at the wrong time witch resulted in me breaking the starter bushing, tearing up a few of the teeth of the big gear on the starter drive.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even with having to buy parts, I still believe it's cheaper than going to the dealer.

I will add some photo's tomorrow

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG][/IMG]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Picture #1 Crankshaft Position sensor

#2 broken bushing

#3 starter drive gear

#4 My naked machine

#5 the other side of the starter drive gear

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you checked the crankcase position sensor?

. A resistance value of 860 Ω ± 10% at room temperature (20° C, 68° F) should be obtained.
CPS Connector
Measure resistance at thr right two pins of the CPS sensor.

Once again Thank You.

If I understand you comment above correctly, there are two pins behind the flywheel. One is in the area of about 9-10 o'clock the other is near 12 o'clock. I took my readings on these pins and got a resistance of 248 ohms.

Looking online and calling my 2 local dealers to see who has the parts I need to get back out on the trails again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts