Polaris ATV Forum banner

Possible culprit's of my no spark issue.

9K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  GaleHawkins 
#1 ·

Does anyone know what the round black piece is called and has anyone heard of them failing ?

Thank You for any input!

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I have been grounding it when I try to start the machine or check for spark. I was just displaying it this way to take the photo.

Thank You for your input polman500

#6 ·
I bought a new battery, still no spark. At this time I believe it to either be the ignition coil or the solenoid.

#7 ·
Have you got a repair manual? Or a meter to check for voltage at the coil? It's hate to see ya spend hard earned money on a part not needed.. wish I could help more but I'm not familiar with the 500

It's just a thang

#8 ·
Thank You for all the help.

Yes , I do have a manual, and a meter. Thank You for suggesting it.

The coil and the solenoid both check out and are good according to the meters we checked them with.

We have checked every electrical connection we can locate.

I have taken all the plastic off the machine except for the dump bed and the cover around the headlight. I will take a look at the pod today.

#11 · (Edited)
2008 Sportsman 500 E.F.I. x2 Bought it used from a Polaris dealer.

As far as more info, put a new spark plug in, replaced battery( because I was dead set that was the problem), Repair manual arrived.

I have all the plastic off the machine except for the dump bed and the pod witch I removed today and put back on after looking it over. We have checked all the electrical connections we can find, The oil looks like it should, NOT MILKY, black or brown.

#12 ·
The ignition coil is used to provide high voltage to fire the spark plugs. When the ignition key is on, DC voltage is present in primary side of the ignition coil windings. During engine rotation, an AC pulse is created within the crankshaft position sensor for each passing tooth on the flywheel. The two-tooth gap creates an “interrupt” input signal, corresponding to specific crankshaft position. This signal serves as a reference for the control of ignition timing. The ECU then calculates the time interval between the consecutive pulses, and determines when to trigger the voltage spike that induces the voltage from the primary to the secondary coil windings to fire the spark plugs.

Have you checked the crankcase position sensor?

. A resistance value of 860 Ω ± 10% at room temperature (20° C, 68° F) should be obtained.
CPS Connector
Measure resistance at thr right two pins of the CPS sensor.

Good luck bud

#14 ·
I would first like to Thank You mscldawg for the help and information.

As far as updates I will be checking it tomorrow morning with the meter.

I got frustrated and decided it was best to walk away for a day or two after I turned the key too far at the wrong time witch resulted in me breaking the starter bushing, tearing up a few of the teeth of the big gear on the starter drive.

#16 ·
Even with having to buy parts, I still believe it's cheaper than going to the dealer.

I will add some photo's tomorrow

#19 ·
Picture #1 Crankshaft Position sensor

#2 broken bushing

#3 starter drive gear

#4 My naked machine

#5 the other side of the starter drive gear

#20 ·
Have you checked the crankcase position sensor?

. A resistance value of 860 Ω ± 10% at room temperature (20° C, 68° F) should be obtained.
CPS Connector
Measure resistance at thr right two pins of the CPS sensor.

Once again Thank You.

If I understand you comment above correctly, there are two pins behind the flywheel. One is in the area of about 9-10 o'clock the other is near 12 o'clock. I took my readings on these pins and got a resistance of 248 ohms.

Looking online and calling my 2 local dealers to see who has the parts I need to get back out on the trails again.

#22 ·
Looking through the wiring diagram for my machine that is in the service manual it says I should be getting 190 ohms +\- 10%. I believe it took the reading off the stator after getting a reading of 248 ohms.

I will try to get a better reading from the C.P.S..

#23 ·
Is the gap adjustable on your CPS? From the pic it doesn't look like it. The reason I ask is , the piece that broke above it could have fallen down, got caught up on the magnets on the flywheel and pulled into the CPS changing its clearance or damaging it.

12 850EPS

#26 ·
I will let you know what the dealer says.

If they cant find it, it may be time to trade it and upgrade to a newer machine.

#25 ·
Sorry for falling off the face of the earth for a few weeks.

I talked with the mechanic at my favorite Polaris dealer ( there is at least 3 within 20 mins of here). After taking his suggestions and trying them, and having no change.

I will be taking it to the dealer this week to have them put it on the computer to see if they can find anything.

#27 ·
They plugged in the Polaris computer and 3 errors showed up, two were from unplugging connections to look for water.

The third was the throttle position sensor witch they adjusted and the machine still would not start.

I left it at the dealership and I am now waiting for a phone call saying it is either fixed or this is what they will give me to trade it for a different machine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.